CairnTalk

Bravecto

Dempsy's Mom

Picked some up today.  Supposed to last 12 weeks for flea and ticks.  Two tablets for each dog was $165.00 then you have a $40 rebate.  They gobbled the tablets right down.  Hope I am happy with it - anyone else try these?

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I used it for Angus last year. No problem and way easier than anything else I have used. He is using it again this year. I paid $52.00 for one tablet which lasts 3 months.

Idaho Cairns

Wow, that sounds pricey to me!  What's wrong with the typical drops between the shoulder blades stuff?

The Vet recommended Bravecto to me for Ivy and so far she has had it twice and tolerated it fine, chewed it up no problem, and here in UK  I pay a monthly sum to Vets which covers me for the jabs and flea/worming stuff.  Also gives me 10% off stuff in their shop and I got 10% of her spaying.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

1-800 Petmeds online offers 12 week supply of Frontline for dogs 22 lbs or lessfor $38.69 and they offer generic for $30. So if I'm correct, Bravecto does seem pricey, as Idaho says.

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I've heard from several vets that Frontline does not seem to be as effective lately.  Since I don't want to give Kirby any more meds by mouth if I can avoid it, we're trying the Seresto collars this year.  So far, so good.  It's been warm enough at the lake for ticks to be out but we haven't had any on the dogs.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Sassy has been using Comfortis for the past couple years. One per month for six months, spring to fall. First year, $65.00, second year $87.00, this year $117.00. Can't wait for next year.

• Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Frontline stopped working for my dogs. Collars only helped round head and shoulders. Advantix11 drops worked but I found it hard to be sure all the med got on the skin of thick coated dogs, plus it left the area messy and damp for a while. Bravecto avoids all that. However it must be given with food to prevent possible reactions.

I think a lot depends on where we live and other medical needs of our dogs.

Good feedback.  It is a pricey but when things get a rolling around here it's worth the peace of mind and one less thing to do every month.  I hope we have good luck with it.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

54 minutes ago, Dempsy's Mom said:

It is a pricey but when things get a rolling around here it's worth the peace of mind and one less thing to do every month.  

You and Hillscreek make some very valid points re convenience of dosage. As was pointed out, not only does Frontline leave the area damp, but I've been cautioned not to let myself (or others) pet or rub my dogs neck/shoulders for 24 hrs. after application because Frontline is not a good thing for us to come in contact with. (Toxic)? Always wash hands after applying to your pet.

Re not getting full coverage... I might be stating the obvious, but when applying, work the tip down through the dense coat between the shoulders until tip contacts skin or comes as close to it as possible.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Ticks have been out here already for a month at least - global warming?

We started Oban on frontline in February while we were in California (lots of hiking in the woods) but I did see an ad for the chewables just last night. I like that it would end up on Oban's inside rather than outside. Oban sleeps with us, velcroed to me, and I worry about the effects of that stuff on his skin and mine. Your thoughts and experiences will be appreciated!

• Like 1

We switched to Brevecto last summer. Frontline just seemed to quit working for our two. We have had good luck with it and have had no reactions. Jack and Belle spend so much time wet in the summer that I think it reduces the effectiveness of Frontline. 

It has been a good 5+ years since Frontline has worked for me.  When I was in California I was using and really liking Revolution.  Have not had fleas after moving to Oregon....except this spring (very mild wet winter).  I just picked up and applied Advantage.  So I will see how that works.  My daughter is a groomer & she says that the Seresto collars have been every effective.  I have a friend who hunts & she uses the Seresto collars when she is out in the field with her dogs.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Well, I have pulled about 7 ticks off of Elsie - all the ticks have been dead and a couple off of Dempsy and those too were dead. 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Frontline does not repel ticks, unfortunately, which was a concern for me since Nikki has gotten the Lyme antibodies from a tick bite in the past and had to go on antibiotics for a while. I've been using K9 Advantix 2 since it is supposed to repel ticks, mosquitos, and fleas. I still find one live tick on Nikki near the third or fourth week after his dosage so it clearly does not last a full month. And it's not cheap. But I also usually bathe Nikki within twenty four to forty eight hours after applying the drops, and unlike what the package says, I do not put it on his whole top line.  I rarely find ticks on his posterior end anyway (wonder if it's because his back end isn't as warm as the front or maybe there's another reason... XD )

so we live in a relatively tick free area. Percentage wise, what are the chances of a tick actually making the dog sick with Lyme disease etc?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

On Vancouver Island, we have deer ticks, but fortunately a very low incidence of Lyme infected ticks...so far. Climate change will change this too. Right now, the incidence of Lyme in ticks is about .05%. My vet has told me that my chances of contracting Lyme from an infected tick are much higher than Gus's. Apparently humans are better hosts for Kyme than dogs are. She said that the odds of Gus contracting Lyme from an infected tick are about 2%. So until this situation worsens, I keep my trusty tick twister in my day pack and remove the disgusting creatures, without touching them, and then wash my hands thoroughly and swab the spot on Gus with an antiseptic pad, and go without medication. So far this spring he has had three. Yes, they do tend to dig into the head/neck area. 

• Like 2

Whether dog will get sick - 5% to 10%  chance my vet says. However symptoms may not show for a months or years after the bite. Limping is the one most commonly noticed. 46% of dogs tested round here this year have shown reactions. Most people in this area do not medicate over the winter as ticks not active when there is snow cover. Cold alone does not prevent them getting around. This year no snow cover so that may account for the numbers. Angus will be on medication all year round from this year on.

And as Islander says check yourself as well as you dog. I found a tick on me the other day ugh ugh ugh - the first ever that I can remember. Bring back those cold snowy winters!

Given how badly Rosie reacted to last years tick meds I will have to come up with something else. She went nuts with that stuff smeared on her shoulders. Islander we are going up to the Cariboo area in BC ...hopefully the Lyme disease issue will be around the same percentage up there as in your area. Funny I lived seven years in the Okanagan and not once ever saw a tick on me or my animals!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Gus has only gotten ticked when in wilderness type parks - never in town. Although since the deer have taken to strolling around downtown, that surprises me!

I have used the essential oil treatment that has been discussed here before - 10 drops of a pungent oil like eucalyptus, lemon, peppermint, diluted in water and sprayed on fur.

i really don't know if it works but makes them smell delicious!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

We switched from Frontline to Advantix because it wasn't doing anything for the ticks.

Despite year-around treatment, I've pulled live ticks off of Fred while he was on either.

If anyone has found something else that has worked (killing the tick after they bite), I'd like to hear about it.  Fred is obviously a tick magnet.

52 minutes ago, lamar1 said:

We switched from Frontline to Advantix because it wasn't doing anything for the ticks.

Despite year-around treatment, I've pulled live ticks off of Fred while he was on either.

If anyone has found something else that has worked (killing the tick after they bite), I'd like to hear about it.  Fred is obviously a tick magnet.

If you are looking for tick removal tool, this one has good ratings. I have one, but have never had to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Tick-Twister-Pro-Remover/dp/B010NU1V1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466190700&sr=8-3&keywords=tick+removal+tool+for+dogs

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I have one - not exactly the same but same idea - and I have used it numerous times. It is a great little $5 investment. Removes the tick just as advertised without damaging the skin as tweezers do.

1 hour ago, remltr said:

If you are looking for tick removal tool, this one has good ratings. I have one, but have never had to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Tick-Twister-Pro-Remover/dp/B010NU1V1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466190700&sr=8-3&keywords=tick+removal+tool+for+dogs

Yeah.  That one works VERY well.  I have one of those handy...unfortunately.

What I was asking about was a preventative, specifically.  I know nothing is 100%, but I thought maybe someone might have had a similarly tick-attractive friend and found a preventative (topical or oral) that works better than the more popular ones.

Edited by lamar1