CairnTalk

Eye contact

Idaho Cairns

Idaho Cairns

Here's kind of a fun example of Cairn behavior caught on camera.  Sammi was out roaming the neighbors' decks and got caught needing to get back to our deck while a couple of deer were feeding in the back area.  If she had Bonnie with her, I know there would have been a chase but on her own, discretion was the much better part of valor.  Notice how she avoids any aggression on the part of the deer by refusing to make eye contact with either deer while at the same time, managing to keep an eye on them at the same time.  I have noticed this in her with other dogs--simply avoiding by ignoring--making herself as non-aggressive as possible without giving up any ground.  Now Bonnie will always chase first and ask questions later and sometimes those Mule Deer won't give ground--gets scary.

• Like 5

Wow - smart dog. Oban would have been after them - using the cairn screech of death - in a shot. Of course he would only run til the leash ran out!

I wonder what Maisie would do in that situation, she is always in hot pursuit of a certain squirrel that visits our yard daily to pick off the bird seed that has falling from the feeders.  Sammi is one smart little girl and awfully cute too.  I loved how the deer didn't take their eyes off of her, one would watch while the other bent down to eat and visa versa.....loved the video.

Awesome video as always. I love how Sammi is avoiding eye contact. I have no idea how Kelly or Prissy would react to the Mule Deer.

Edited by Lynn in TN

Angus will not tolerate visitors to our yard. Scream and chase is his reaction - however big (bear) or small (chipmunk).

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I wasn't sure if I should create a new thread or not, but Nikki just demonstrated an interesting quirk that involves eye contact.   He has a routine down every night. After he gets a chew bone and he's convinced that no more snacks will be forthcoming for the day, he likes to hop up onto the footrest of my recliner to cuddle up with me for a few minutes. But he has to go through a certain pattern before he will hop up.  First he sits in front of me and breathes a little louder.  I am supposed to look at him, say "come on" and pat the chair before he will decide whether to come up.  If I fail to do all three of those things, he will keep waiting for the missing part until he loses patience and then he will lay down with a huff.  If I stare at him while inviting him up, he will lay down.  I am supposed to look at him and then look away.

Tonight he wanted up so I said come on and patted the chair as usual but I did not look at him.  I was too busy reading my tablet.  Nikki put his paws up on the recliner multiple times, acting like he wanted to jump up wihtout making any attempt at hopping.  I looked at him and said come on, but he sat down. I had to look at him, say "come on," pat my chair, and look back at my tablet before he would jump.  Now he is curled up in my chair.  Quirky boy.  Oh, and if I insult him by picking him and putting him in my chair myself, he will get right back down, or he will make his displeasure known by kicking my leg after he lays down. Repeatedly. My Cairn is part mule, part cat, part dog, part human, and all personality. Hehehe. <3

• Like 4