CairnTalk

Daycare and Boarding

MaryellenK

I'm stressing over the need to board my little girl for the first time for a week.  She will be a year old at the time and has only been with us or our breeder.   Does anyone know of a good place in New Jersey or eastern PA area?  I've read some scary stories.  I'd like to try a facility slowly, leaving her for a few hours at a time and working our way up to a few days until we are both comfortable it will work. Thanks much!

Thanks much!

Idaho Cairns

Maryellen, don't want to leave you unanswered on this matter and while I have no clue about the particular area you are inquiring on, we have recently used doggie daycares to board our dogs while on vacation and know the trauma associated with locating and accepting, sight unseen, a kennel. 
My best advice is to let the internet be your friend--there is a surprising amount of information available, by area, on dog care facilities and I suggest you use that information to locate and learn about the various options you have for your pup.  We found that in both the cases we used during a recent golf outing that the approval ratings for the facilities used were very accurate and we weren't disappointed with our choices.
Good luck in your search.

• Like 2

Angus went to doggy day care when he was about a year old. I looked up places via the web. Then I called and talked with the people there then when I found one that sounded good went up and chatted with them about the facility and the care Angus would receive. Facility look nice and care sounded good so I enrolled him. He had a ball loved his visits. When I have had to leave him when I go away he stays with his groomer a good friend of mine who has a very very small boarding facility in her home. Angus goes walking with her dogs. He gets great care. He has done fine.

A different situation from what you are looking for perhaps but I did find Angus could be left and be OK.

Hope tings work out for you.

I completely understand your concern... I would feel the same way. Leaving your pooch for a full week, for the first time ever can be daunting. Personal references are best, but can be hard to come by. Asking for referrals here on the forum was a good idea and I hope someone will be able to come through for you!

I find it reassuring to know that you've already come up with a good "plan B": checking out a few facilities that are reasonably close to home. Visiting and speaking  to the folks at those places would be a good way to pick up the "vibes"... Your instincts will guide you. Your intention to try your little girl for a few hours or a day makes sense to me.

You are doing your best and that is all you can ask of yourself. Try to lower your stress, knowing that your cairn will most probably have a ball, playing, knocking herself out, and will come home tired and happy! Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I'm not in your area, so can't answer directly, but will say that Tanner goes to Doggie Daycare Monday-Friday.  He's done this for over 4 years.  When we first found them, I went in to meet with both the staff & the person who would actually be overseeing the daycare.  I also took a tour of the facility.  After awhile of them just being doggie daycare, I transitioned to them being our vet & haven't regretted a moment of it.

Any place you try or are interested in should be willing to let you see the facility and where your cairn will be boarded.  

• Like 1
Becky & Tanner

Idaho Cairns

I agree with the "visit and try it out" advice.  In our case we didn't have that luxury in our first three days of tee times and were a bit nervous, the particular lady in who's home the dogs were going to be sat seemed a bit off the wall when we talked to her on the phone but when we met her in person on the day prior, she was all "dog people" and our girls seemed very pleased--the last day we took them  they jumped from the car and  dashed to the lady's door, tails wagging and scratched to be admitted!  That convinced us they were enjoying their stay.
I think we get too "I feel" in these situations, assuming in our human ways that our dogs won't like being in the midst of all the turmoil of doggy day care with other dogs sniffing butts, barking, dashing around, etc. because we are uncomfortable.  Our dogs could probably care less and no doubt enjoy adding to the din, with no masters to corral their noisy enthusiasm. 
Assuming you have done the due diligence, checked facilities and references your pup should be fine--now if we could come up with some kind of Doggie Day Care Human Guilt palliation for ourselves....!

• Like 2

It's always hard to leave them - but the first time is nerve racking - you've already got some great advice. ... have fun on your trip ... all will be fine. :hug:

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Thanks all for your advice on facility checking and the 'guilt'.  I'm hoping we will be lucky finding a good place.  We have a lead from the owner of one of her litter mates about a place they used.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I visited probably 5 (or more!) doggie day cares before my dad actually ended up finding the one that Addie goes to. It's part of the Dogtopia franchise, but my fantastic Northern Virginia Dogtopia doesn't necessarily mean all Dogtopia's are the same caliber (I know a Dogtopia in Maryland had a number of dogs escape, and by number I mean 2 but anything more than 0 is a red flag for me).

These are the questions I asked and required a "Yes" to before I considered the daycare:

• Is there a human in the room with the dogs at all time?
  • Do they split up the dogs into different rooms (either by energy level or size, or both)?
  • Are the dogs protected from extreme temperatures (I saw one daycare that kept the dogs in outside play areas during a snowstorm - NO THANK YOU)?
  • Are all the dogs spayed/neutered?
  • Is there an evaluation before the dog is allowed to be at the daycare? (also ask what it takes to fail an evaluation; you don't want a place that accepts anyone despite their behavior, but you also don't want a place that rejects dogs for no legitimate reason)
  • Do they have multiple closed doors between the playroom and the street (don't want any successful escapes from the facility)?
  • Do they clean the facility regularly?
  • Is water available to the dogs 24/7?
  • Do they require vaccinations (I don't want to expose my dog to preventable diseases; my minimum requirement was that all dogs were up-to-date on rabies)?

Bonuses:

• What's the potty situation (I hit the jackpot because my dog's daycare in Northern Virginia has a fenced yard in the back that the dogs let out into multiple times a day). I avoided a daycare that took dogs on leashed walks, only because I feared any successful escapes, especially having a terrier who will not come when called and who does pull on the leash. I also avoided daycares that didn't have an outdoor area, as I was worried Addie would un-learn her potty training. 

Once I got answers I liked from facilities, I toured them, and always without advance warning. They can say all they want to say to you on the phone or their website, but they can't easily hide bad practices if you just show up. 

Finally, listen to your dog. The first couple visits she might be frightened because it's a new place, you aren't there, and she doesn't know anyone. But once she's had time to adjust, make sure it seems like she's enjoying the experience. If she's acting terrified or skittish, it's possibly a red flag that they're not taking care of her properly. 

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I'd like to second Whits' suggestion about visiting the facility without advanced warning.  I did this when choosing a kennel for our furkids - dropped in unannounced around lunch time.  If they are happy to see you and show you around, it's a good sign.   If they insist that you have to make an appointment, it would raise a red flag for me.

• Like 2