CairnTalk

Elevated Liver Enzymes -12 Year Old Female

gd4

I have always found this forum to prove helpful since my little girl was a pup. She is now 12 and weighs 15 lbs. I took Trinity for her dental cleaning yesterday. Prior to the cleaning they did a senior panel work-up. I received a call from the Vet that they declined doing the cleaning at this time due to elevated liver enzymes. I have not noticed any changes in her behavior or diet. She is an active and happy little girl for her age with some minor arthritis. The tests that show elevation are: ALT, ALKP, GGT and LIPA. The rest of her panel was normal. Last week she and her brother were boarded at their usual facility for one week with no issues. They were happy and rested when we picked them up. The Vet put her on a 10 day run of Clavamox 125 mg. and Metronidazole 100 mg. chew tab. After three doses, she appears to be tolerating the meds with normal eating habits. She also takes a Bone and Joint formula with glucosomine and chondroitin daily. I am to bring her back for a Chem 17 test and recheck. I am concerned and not sure if there is something I should be doing or what is happening. Does anyone have any familiarity with this issue and your elder Cairn?

I'm sorry that I don't have any experience with elevated liver enzymes but I know there are other members on the forum that have dealt with this issue and they will undoubtedly respond with good advice/insights.  Your girl looks adorable, by the way!

• Like 1

my older dog had some similar issues after age 10. all kinds of things can upset the liver (including taking a fall), and it can take quite a while to get back in line. remember that the elevation that concerned your vet was in prospect of anesthesia, which is very stressful for any animal but particularly for elderly ones; it doesn't mean that your dog is truly sick. the antibiotics could certainly help, and apart from following doctor's instructions there is probably nothing else you should be doing. nipping liver problems in the bud is definitely worth it, since the liver is able to adapt well if the disease is caught early. if you haven't mentioned the glucosomine supplement to your vet you might do so, since there can be some relevance to a diabetic dog or an elderly dog at risk of diabetes (though that certainly does not sound like your dog's case).

• Like 1

Our first Cairn had elevated liver enzymes for over half his life and he lived to be 16!  The vets could never find a reason for it, so we just decided that was the way he was.  Packy had elevated liver enzymes a couple years ago, but it was related to a stomach ailment.  That stomach problem went away quickly and after a month on a liver supplement, his blood tests went back to normal.  There are any number of things that could cause it; your vet was cautious due to the anesthesia.  

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Thank you all for your kind responses. I most appreciate it! Especially, since this eases my mind. Trinity is my little angel. I love her a great deal and do whatever I can to help her stay in good health. It does sound as though the Vet was being cautious because of the anesthesia.

I am to go back in ten days and do a Chem17. She is still taking her meds without any reactions, thus far. She acts happy and rested. Therefore, I am optimistic that all is okay.

Thank you for the kind remarks; she is indeed, a cutie! I love the pics of everyone's pups. They are adorable. A wonderful and hearty little breed. I pray that I can enjoy more years with my little angel.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I don't know anything about it, but I wish you and Trinity well and hope she continues to improve. She is just precious!

• Like 1

If you do a search on this site for liver enzymes and Jock . I have in the past posted a lot  of things that helped my boy live with Chronic Hep, diagnosed at 6yrs of age till he died at 13 yrs old.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I took Trinity back and her enzymes are normal. The doc is planning to do her dental cleaning this week. She stated that she should be fine. I am a little worried!

Yes, maybe a little infection. The doc is going to do a quick scan of liver and gallbladder when she is getting her cleaning done next week!

Great news. Trinity had her dental cleaning today without any issues. No extractions. No meds to return home to take. Her ultrasound on the liver and gallbladder were normal. She is a little agitated tonight, lol but is eating and begging for treats! Thanks, everyone.

• Like 2

Wonderful!  So glad everything went smoothly and Trinity is back to normal.  Toss a few extra treats her way from all of us here on the forum.:)

• Like 1