CairnTalk

Islander

sorry to hear you have hit this snag. my shih-tsu once had a pin-hole injury to the eyeball, and the vet sewed the inner eyelid eye shut for a couple of weeks to make sure it would heal --it worked. looked like something from nightmare on elm street, in the end came out fine. only thing i really hated about it was that he had to be anesthetized twice, once to sew it up and once to undo the stitches. dog lived to be eighteen years old, though because he was a shih-tsu he had recurrent eye problems unrelated to the injury i'm referring to. hope this procedure works for gus and you two can put this behind you. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 3

I'm sorry Gus has to deal with this. Best wishes for the procedure and recovery. Sending love and cuddles your way. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Just got the call from the vet about Gus. He came through anesthesia fine and will be ready to be picked up soon. The vet found a 2 mm thorn behind his third eyelid! She said that she never would have found it if he hadn't been asleep. Hope now that it's been removed and the cornea has been stimulated, his eye will heal. 

She also gave him a free dental treatment while he was out. I had declined that because of cost. She said it was my retirement present. I have to keep it a secret though. What a great vet!

Can't wait to pick up my baby boy!!

• Like 7

A thorn! OMG! Poor Gus!  I am so glad it was found and that he is fine and his eye will heal now.

Sooo nice of your vet to give him a free dental!

I'm sure you and Gus will be knackered tonight and have a good, well-deserved rest for all this worry.

• Like 1

Home, with cone, kind of groggy but started crying and howling in the back room at the vet's when he heard my voice.

Here is the thorn the vet removed! Doesn't look like much but she said it was really sharp.

image.jpeg

Edited by Islander

Thank heavens the vet found that thorn and removed it!  No, it doesn't look very big but, when something is in your eye, it feels HUGE.  What a great vet to give Gus a dental cleaning for free, too!  

Hope you both recover quickly and Gus is back on the trail soon.  Hugs to both of you.:hug:  

• Like 2

Oh boy that must have been irritating! So glad she found it. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

hope that wraps it up! sorry you two have been through this, i'm sure it's a relief to have an answer and hope gus mends fast.

• Like 1

What good news! Hopefully his eye heals swiftly now. Thank you for the update. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Let's hope that's it and Gus is back on the trail soon. Relief the thorn was found. Could have caused major problems. Great (and kind) vet.

• Like 2

So sorry Gus.  Like the others we are staying positive that the procedure will work and little Gus will be back chasing little critters.  Gus is added to our prayer chain.

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the vet and Gus's cornea is 100% healed!!!! I am a very relieved mom. 

One of my friends suggested "doggles" for his future forays into the bushes. I am just glad I didn't have to get him an eye patch! I was thinking he could be a pirate next Halloween.

Thanks for all your support! 

• Like 6

Excellent news - agree about the pirate -a natural for a cairn - so be one Gus and be happy the patch is just a joke!

• Like 1

all good. my dog had goggles because of the dangers to their eyes of looking out of the windows of a moving car. he would sometimes agree to wear them for a short period. they would certainly provide the protection he needs. just a matter of acclimation. 

• Like 1

So glad to hear Gus is all healed up. That is thanks to the wonderful vet you have. Now Gus.. you have to be careful so you don't scare the heck out of your mommy again.

• Like 1