CairnTalk

Suddenly...Joey is scared of everything at age four

HankandJoey

Has anyone had experience with a young Cairn suddenly becoming scared of everything? He is scared of the TV, the wind, a drawer closing.....anything. In the past, nothing has bothered this pup. I am wondering if there might be something going on with his ears? When he gets scared he shakes uncontrollably for hours. Fireworks are the only thing that he has had a problem with. His brother could care less....nothing bothers Hank. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance. He heard gunshots on TV and has been in another room all night. So sad as we watch TV every night as a "pack". Picture is of a normal night in our house.

image.jpeg

Carrington used to act this way, but his circumstances were very different from Joey's... Joey is young and Carrington was more than 15 years old when he lost his vision and most of his hearing. Normally a calm dog, high pitched, sharp noises, even if they weren't loud, would startle and disturb him. Closing a drawer or kitchen cabinet, or even placing my keys or a dish on the kitchen counter could make him flinch and scurry away. I attributed his reaction to the fact that his residual hearing allowed him to hear a sharp noise that he couldn't see  and therefore, he reacted in fright.

i'd like to assume that Joey's vision and hearing are ok, but it might be worth checking that out.

My only other thought is, did something disturbing or traumatic occur when you weren't there and the dogs were home alone? I feel so bad for poor Joey and hope you find a solution. Be sure to let us know how things progress.

P.S. Loved the photo... Contentment personified!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hiya and welcome to the forum. :)

I've no experience with this in a pup, but something has sure spooked the little guy.  How old is he now and how long has this been going on?  What does Hank do when Joey is scared? (I know you said Hank doesn't get scared, but does he react at all to his brother's fears?) I agree with Sanford that maybe getting his hearing and vision checked out is a good idea.

I've not had a puppy before - maybe others can answer this question: could it be a phase? (I remember when my little sister, who is 16 years my junior, suddenly became very shy/afraid of any man with a very deep voice. She was 2 years old and would hide behind my mom's legs. It lasted a few months.)

changes happen in cairns round about that age but usually the other way around --they get calmer, more patient, more focused, more sociable. but you will see many reports on here of cairns who suddenly become worried. do you have the sense that joey is reacting fearfully to repeated stimuli, or that he has had a single bad experience that causes him to react to similar but not the same stimuli?

Perhaps a trip to your vet might be in order to just make sure there are no eye/ ear issues. Plus there seems to be more and more literature on thyroid issues causing unusual behaviour in dogs. 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

This does seem a bit unusual. Angus is four also. When he gets a fright both now and when a pup his reaction was/is to get prepared for a fight. 

Think I would have a chat with the vet.

Our cairns hearing and smelling abilities are so much greater than ours that is is possible something is troubling him that you can't detect but he can.

Edited by Hillscreek

Thank you everyone! I think a trip to the vet will be in order to check his eyes and ears. Hank was a devil as a pup and he has turned into a wonderful little man. Joey has always been perfect although sensitive to everything. I don't know what might have happened as we are with them pretty much 24/7. When we aren't  home, they are either in their crates which they love or sleeping on our bed. We are just sad to lose Joey during TV time. He just left us tonight and is in our bedroom. Boo! Thanks again and I will check in after we see the vet. One more pick of the kids.....

image.jpeg

• Like 4