CairnTalk

Change in behavior... is Ruffy OK?

sanford

I mentioned a while back that Ruffy has finally started to share the sofa with me... Something I always wanted him to do and I'm happy that this has taken place.

But a new behavior has me baffled and I'm not sure if something is wrong... or if I'm "overthinking " this...

When I am on the sofa watching TV, reading, etc., Ruffy continues to jump up and  settle into a corner, but other times he will stand on the floor with his 2 front paws up on the edge, panting heavily while intently staring into my eyes, with his face so close to mine, it's practically touching.  When he hops up to join me, he pants and continues to put his face up against mine, staring deeply into my eyes. His behavior/body language suggests that he's trying to say something, but what?  Today a shiver - or definite tremor went through his body. Does the panting, staring mean he's in pain? I ran my hand over his body and squeezed gently, but he didn't react. Does the panting mean he wants to play? I tried this, but he didn't really join in. Being a cairn, is he just trying to manipulate me for a treat? Who knows? Last night, he just wouldn't leave me alone... panting while constantly shadowing me from room to room, something he's never ever done before. Although he had his late-night walk and did his usual potty, I thought maybe he needed to go out again and took him out, but all he did was mark and that was it.

At the risk of giving too much information, I want to add that I have only recently understood that Ruffy has developed "separation anxiety" issues, which I will discuss here as another, separate topic, I only raise this in passing because I am so confused that I'm throwing everything possible into the mix! 

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this... Thanks!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

since you say this is not his normal behavior, it does sound like anxiety. he could be worrying because he feels a bit uncomfortable. does he show any evidence of digestive upset? have you changed his diet recently? could he be sneaking something that is upsetting his system? possible UTI? when running a fever, most animals and people will show a bit of restlessness. you might take his temperature during one of these spells and see if it is slightly high.

other possible sources of pain: neck or back. is his posture ever odd? does he refuse to do some things he used to do? ever yelp or whimper? 

thinking of anxiety only: changes in the neighborhood that he would perceive as disturbing sounds? new neighbors? new equipment (music/kitchen/bathroom/exercise/security) that he would hear at some points and be worried by? vibrations? does he look worried when going outside? or worried about coming in?

also on the anxiety only: is there something up with you that is worrying him? are you behind on your medical check-ups, sanford? is there something new in the neighborhood that is making you give off strange vibes?

I can't help but think of Josie's story about Holly suddenly becoming restless and agitated at night.  Everyone here pitched in and gave suggestions for things to check.  Turns out that there was a smoke detector (or something like that) that was beeping because the battery needed replacement.  Josie couldn't hear it but Holly could.  The reason I am mentioning this is because Ruffy is doing the same thing Buffy does when one of our smoke detector batteries need replacement.  

I hope this isn't too forward of me but how is your hearing, Sanford?  I know mine has gone to hell (most of which was probably caused by that Who concert in 1973 :P) and there are times I can't hear things like I used to.  

Anyway, it might be worth checking out.:)

• Like 1

A lot of good points raised by pkcrossley and hheldorfer. At first glance, I'm glad to say, I can eliminate most of the potential causes they mention, but I'm going to take more time to consider the other possibilities they offered.

I can also say that my hearing is fine and Ruffy and I both got good reports on recent medical checkups.  As per pk's asking about anxiety... This is what it looks like to me and, in fact that was one of the reasons for my post, yet there have been no environmental changes that I can detect, and no changes with me, in terms of anxiety/emotions For Ruffy to pick up on.

His appetite energy level and spirits are excellent. If this continues, I'll have the vet take a look at him just to be on the safe side...

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I'm glad your hearing is good, Sanford, but still . . . You live in an apartment, right?  Any chance there is something emanating from one of the other apartments adjacent to you - like a crying baby, people arguing, maybe someone *else's* smoke detector beeping?  Even a strange smell can trigger anxiety/excitement in these little guys.  Very sensitive souls they are.

I don't mean to keep pressing this point but Ruffy's behavior sounds *so* much like Buffy's when one of the above events happens.  Then again, I could be full of doggy doodoo.  :)

That alarm thing has some merit but when I have experienced the dogs reacting, they don't let up as long as the beep is going (we have a fairly sensitive one just outside our kitchen and when it goes the dogs are crazed til the matter is addressed.
I have also experienced the behavior you describe, the in the face panting and I'm not sure what the dogs are trying to communicate, if anything but it is often under the same situation you describe--jumping up on the recliner, close up, panting.  It does seem like they are trying to tell me something but I'm not sure what that is--it's rare enough I don't give it much thought anymore but it isn't, in my experience anything that worries me too much--just some of that quirkiness I have come to love in my Cairns.
We'll see it if we happen to hit a rumble strip on the interstate from our older Cairn and when we owned the motorhome, if we got to rocking and rolling in the wind or uneven pavement--Sammi was in our face immediately, panting.  So, sometimes the behavior is related to fearful situations. 
As far the others, who knows?

Does it happen only at certain times ? 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

your hearing could be fine for an adult male human and still leave ruffy hearing all kinds of things you don't hear. do you keep a chart indicating when this happens? there could be a pattern you don't notice. if there is something in the neighborhood --planes high overhead, florescent lighting, wind moving parts of the architecture, music playing somewhere, radio signals being picked up by wires inside the house, whatever--there is nothing you can do about it except maybe discover the answer and relax about it. working from the other end, you can take ruffy for a good check-up and if everything is fine, everything is fine. one just always like to know, especially when they are trying so hard to tell you. 

• Like 4

Being an apartment dweller, my thought might be - do you have a natural gas or CO2 alarm? If you don't - or if it's not working - perhaps Ruffy is smelling something dangerous that you can't smell? 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Hmmm... Whits, your post prompts me to check the gas hook-up in my apt. I have had some issues re this in the past. I'll investigate further and let you know the result.

P.S. Yes, I do have both a CO2 and Fire alarm in working order.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Someone posted this on my FB and I thought, wow, these animals are amazing at detecting unusual sounds and smells. Ruffy and Joey both are acting different and no  doubt something isn't the way it is supposed to be in their world! This is an extreme case but it makes one realize that they sense something we don't even have a clue exists.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

On February 15, 2016 at 10:52 AM, sanford said:

Hmmm... Whits, your post prompts me to check the gas hook-up in my apt. 

Ok, I checked out the gas hookup and it's fine. As was pointed out by pkcrossley and others, I've come to believe that living in an apartment in the middle of a big noisy city, there might be something "atmospheric" going on. (There is a lot of renovation/construction in the area, as well as intermittent drilling into the bedrock for a new subway, 2 blocks away). Although my apartment, on the 10th floor is thankfully very quiet and I don't hear any of these noises, I'm not a cairn, so I can't speak for Ruffy!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Good to know the gas is OK - that's one thing you can check off the list.  

How has Ruffy been lately?  Still getting anxious and trying to telecommunicate with you?

3 minutes ago, hheldorfer said:

How has Ruffy been lately?  Still getting anxious and trying to telecommunicate with you?

Yes, hheldorfer, he continues to do this. If I eliminate most other possiblities...perhaps I'm the culprit! I mentioned here that I tried to get Ruffy to be less "aloof" and share the sofa with me. I used treats to encourage him to jump up and join me. So now I'm thinking that his being "in my face" staring and panting could simply be the usual cairn terrier ploy/manipulation that most of us are familiar with...he just wants more treats!..Please sir!... More... more... more!

• Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!