CairnTalk

Feeding Mon

Dempsy's Mom

Don't know why this video went wacko on me.  I hit the enhance button and this was my enhancement. ?

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
Embed video
  • Like 8

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

When momma cow stuck her nose close to the lens I for a brief moment am sure I smelled silage, chewed cud....mmmm love it.

i see the farm manager is still large and in charge with Ms Elsie being the chief farm greeter! Love love farm pictures.:P:P

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Loved it, but it made me miss feeding the calves. I could smell them.  I have often wondered how they stand the cold myself. Thank you so much for sharing. 

Their little tails are just a waggin' to keep energy going in their sweet little bodies.  Brrrr.  They don't much care for gator rides in the cold.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

The 303 ear tag tells us that this cow was born in 2013.  It's the first number that tells us that.  Every cow has an ear tag and when the calf is born they get an ear tag that matches mom so we can pair them up when moving them to a pasture.   Then when a girl calf becomes a heifer at 2 years of age - they are ready to be bred and get a new ear tag.  Not every farmer has the same identification process - it's what makes sense for that farmer.  We keep a cow for about 10-12 years.

You may have heard of COOL (Country Of Origin Labeling)  it came about with mad cow disease.  The big feedlots will put chips in the cows ear and this chip tracks the complete history of the cow.  COOL started with meats and now it has gone to fruits, veggies, etc.  They say that you can buy a gun that you can point at a semi carrying a load of cattle and the gun will read every number on that load.  Expensive - but the capability is there.  Probably more info than you're looking for.

Mon doesn't have an ear tag because I didn't want to poke a hole in his ear.  He was special.  His mom is 315. 

• Like 4

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Thanks for the info, Lori. Your posts are always so interesting.  That is quite COOL (see what I did there?) about those tracking chips!

When you say you keep the cow for 10-12 years, are you selling the milk during those years? or are you fattening them up all that time to sell the meat?

These cattle are Angus with a cross of Limousin raised for beef.  So we keep the females for breeding (called a cow/calf operation) and all the males are fed out and sold as beef.  Milking cows are Holsteins or Jerseys mainly.   ..... ya, :)  your a pretty cool chick. :P

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

17 hours ago, Dempsy's Mom said:

These cattle are Angus with a cross of Limousin raised for beef.  So we keep the females for breeding (called a cow/calf operation) and all the males are fed out and sold as beef.  Milking cows are Holsteins or Jerseys mainly.   ..... ya, :)  your a pretty cool chick. :P

Ah, thanks for the info.  I always wondered how it was decided what got milked and what got eaten. Yes, I know only the females get milk, but I didn't know if they got eaten as well!

16 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

Right now Autumn is dealing with the realization that she may have just watched a video of her future McD's hamburger.  :P

Awww! Now that is just all kinds of wrong. :D:D:D  It makes one feel sorry for the poor cows. The poor, delicious, juicy cows. :D

• Like 2

That is something else, Mon knows his name lol. When he saw the bottle he came rushing over to you. I really love the farm videos you post.

• Like 2

If I ever win the lottery, I'm getting two pet cows, two pet pigs, and all the Cairns I can handle (which, knowing Cairns, would be about two). 

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley