CairnTalk

Watch Out World! It's WEE MIKEY!

DanBar Ranch

Hi everyone!

My name is Diane. I live in Goldendale, WA. I just moved here from Western WA where I have been a lifelong resident. I will say I LOVE IT HERE!

I retired here to have room for my dogs to run. I have five American pit bulls, two Black and Tan Coonhounds and now Wee Mikey the cairn! He is 8 weeks old. He is here because I lost my 14 year old Patterdale terrier, Tuffy La La right after I moved here. I went through the expense of securely fencing the entire 20 acres with hot new Zealand fencing so that my dogs could run. Lots of deer here....

I have been titling dogs in performance since I was 14, and I''m 56 now! : )  I am slowing down now - no more pit bulls (which I've had for 30 years) as they are just too active for me now. I'm down sizing!  I have to say that I have always loved terriers, and that getting Wee Mikey is opening up a whole new chapter in my life. I am so excited.

I've never done earth dog, because Tuffy was a real farm dog and never could get the hang of just barking at the rats, she would just come out of the tunnel and look for a different way to get to the rat, as her experience in barns was that if one way didn't work, try another. But I think if I start with this guy as a pup he will get the "game".  I've titled dogs in AKC obedience, schutzhund, weight pull, French ring and tracking. I look forward to earth dog eagerly!

Anyway, I am putting this out there as I would like to invite anyone in this part of the world to come train with me...I will be putting up an earth dog tunnel or two as soon as it stops snowing. Maybe we can even hold trials here? I'm gung ho!  I will be getting another Cairn in the summer.

I'm about 40 minutes from The Dalles, Oregon and an hour from Yakima. Please give me a holler if you are interested in earth dog sports in this area!  Thanks for reading my post.

PS: I have been trying to post pics of Wee MIkey, but even though I have resized them down to a TINY 200 pixels across, it still says they are too big. What am I doing wrong???

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DanBar Ranch said:

PS: I have been trying to post pics of Wee MIkey, but even though I have resized them down to a TINY 200 pixels across, it still says they are too big. What am I doing wrong???

That doesn't sound right at all.  Start a ForumSupport topic and we'll get it sorted out!

Also, welcome!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you! Can you suggest how large the pics should be in photobucket? I have them down to 200, and it still says too big. Can you give me an idea how many pixels is allowed? I'll try it again right now...

• Like 1

Well I have to say Wee Mickey is way to adorable. Welcome to the the forum! I am so glad you posted pictures. We really, really, really like pictures here. haha

Welcome!  Sounds like you're in a really pretty area! 

Cairns are definitely a smart breed. Sometimes too smart.  lol. You may think you're training them but they're the biggest manipulators I have ever seen in dogdom.  XD I love their independence and their way of thinking.  

This Christmas Nikki received some toys and some bones he'd never had before. He took the present with the Milkbones into another room to unwrap it. Then when he noticed I was recording him, he sidled just out of my view to finish eating the one bone in privacy.  A minute later, as I worked on taking some balls out of the wrapping paper, he came over and smiled up at me and snuggled against my legs. I noticed he'd brought the second bone with him and dropped it at my feet, so I assumed he was sharing the Christmas spirit by thanking me and giving me a present... Then later I offered him another one and he flat out refused it.  I realized then he was trying to trade me the unwanted bone for something tastier. Lol!  I'd taught him to trade toys or step aside from food to swap out with nicer goodies in the past, and he learned that well. He has tried to trade me an entire stack of toys for one jointed Teddy bear I was dressing for a holiday.  He's such a stinker, but I wouldn't trade these past eleven years with Nikki for anything. 

Mikey looks just like Nikki did when he was a puppy.  There's no telling what his personality will turn out to be, but I'm sure you'll love him. :) Cairns turn into rebellious teenagers when they start maturing and they keep you on your toes, but once they stop trying to rule the world, they become wonderful, dynamic, loving, loyal friends. I can't imagine what it will be like to have two Cairns in addition to all of those other dogs! Best wishes and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Wee Mikey growing up and having adventures with you. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 9:15 PM, Lupinegirl said:

Cairns turn into rebellious teenagers when they start maturing and they keep you on your toes, but once they stop trying to rule the world, they become wonderful, dynamic, loving, loyal friends.  

As I am well finding out with a 19 week old puppy now.  Maybe my hair will go ahead and turn white -- I've been wanting it to since it starting greying in my 30s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2