CairnTalk

Jake

I posted a few days ago about my carin and his strange behavior. I have taken him to our local vet and put him through a complete checkup which included bloodwork. Come to find out, he has a mild case of epilepcy. The vet is almost positive that this is the reason behind his strange behavior. Jake is now on Phenebarbital twice a day. he has been on it for almost a week now. It does make him somewhat drowsy but he seems to be acting a little better, although, it is still to early to really tell if the medication works. I really hope that he does alright because we really love jake and I hate to see him not feeling well. Thanks to all who responded to my post and I will make regular posts and keep you all up to date.

John

• 2 weeks later...

In people, these reactions frequently begin after a feverish episode. A short term cure may be a simple sugar. A long-term cure may be a change in diet to mostly protein.

Hypoglycemia is frequently misdiagnosed as epilepsy.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

We had a male cairn that we had to put down after 14 1/2 years. He started having seizures at about 2 or 3 years of age. We had to put him on phenobabital also. He acted like a zombie -slept alot and was just listless. Our vet told us his body had to reach its own level of the drug and once he reached that level and the seizures were under control, he would "come out of it" and be a normal acting cairn. He did not have anymore seizures and had a typical cairn attitude - lively. We had to have his blood levels checked yearly because the phenobarbitol can reach its saturation point and you may have to increase the dose or switch to another drug. Our dog was taking two different pills twice a day. We had to make sure that Toby went no longer than 12 hours between doses. You didn't mention if your vet has already talked to you about all of this. Just thought I would mention all this to you in care you didn't know about it.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy for your interest and concern about Jake, our Carin terrier. jake has been on Phenobabital for about 6 months now at 1 pill in the morning and two at night before bed. I was told that his level needed to be checked but was not told how often. Thank you for letting me know that. Jake is still a very hyper dog and I really don't know how to deal with it. even after he takes his pills, he does sleep really good especially at night but he is still phyco......barks and throws a fit at everything. We will keep of the medication and hope that he calms down soon.

Sincerely

John

Archived