CairnTalk

Cairn Hand Stripping in NYC/NJ area

cgmillerdds

Hello everyone! I've been a proud cairn owner for a few months now and have enjoyed lurking in this forum and reading everybody's stories! It has come to our attention that Reggie, our 7 month old Cairn is looking like a giant fur ball and is in need of some grooming. I've been looking into the matter for a couple of weeks now, but I was wondering if any of you guys can point me in a direction of a reputable groomer (hand stripping only) in the NJ/NYC area. I live in Jersey City and would not mind driving an hour or two if needed. I'm just nervous about requesting hand stripping and ending up with a clipper cut! Thanks everybody, Reggie sends his thank you as well!

post-7480-0-06113900-1443728345_thumb.jp

Edited by cgmillerdds

I can't offer any specific recommendations from out here on the left coast but my usual recommendation is to go to dog shows (several or many) and talk to as many of the double-coated terrier breed exhibitors you can (not just Cairns, although that's obviously ideal). Some will be owner-handler exhibitors and some subset of those may groom "on the side" a bit for the extra income. Or they may be able to provide a recommendation or pointer to someone they know who will do a credible job on a Cairn and who may live within a distance you're willing to drive.

This weekend exhibitors and breeders are converged in Pennsylvania for a national specialty but next week most folks will be home and possibly responding to inquiries.

It used to be possible to locate breeders by distance from any given location but the CTCA seems to have dropped that :( and now provides only a list by State. Still, it may be possible to locate and talk to breeders in your general area using that list.

It's also entirely possible to groom your own dog. The learning curve can seem daunting at first but it is not fundamentally difficult and terrier coats are generally very forgiving.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Welcome!  It is possible to groom a Cairn yourself - or, in  my case, to semi-groom your dog well enough to make him *mostly* presentable. :whistle:   If you are not planning to show Reggie and you just want to clean him up a bit, check out the grooming threads.  There are some excellent instructions regarding hand-stripping the Cairn coat.  IMHO the sooner you begin grooming Reggie the better he will respond to it.  Cairns don't particularly like being fussed over but you can make it a better experience (for both of you) by doing a little at a time and providing treats and lavish praise when he cooperates.

Reggie is a very handsome boy, by the way.  I'm sure all the female Cairns on the forum will be ogling him. :P

• Like 1

Reggie is a very handsome boy, by the way.  I'm sure all the female Cairns on the forum will be ogling him. :P

Yes, that could happen very easily!!! :D

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Richard Schiller is a cairn terrier groomer in Manhattan. I don't have his phone number, but he's listed in the phone book. Richard has been hand-stripping cairns for many years and has a very fine reputation. He is located in the West (Greenwich) Village, on or near West 12th Street. (Cost: $$$$).

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I think that for hand stripping to be successful it really should be done by somebody with constant access to the dog. Hand stripping is an ongoing process that requires little tweaks to different areas of the dog's coat at different times. A dog can be stripped all the way down in one session but it isn't much fun for the dog or the groomer and in a very short time the coat will need some adjusting anyway. If the dog is to be shown then hand stripping is mandatory but if the dog is not being shown hand stripping may not even be practical. Practicality just depends on how active a role the owner wants to take. I hand strip my dog and my lack of talent, ability and resolve all show in the final result but, hey, it works for us. You can get used to "What'd ya do, use a weedwhacker on him?" we did!

The bottom line is if you want a hand stripped dog it is best to do it yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses! The breeder suggested that he be hand stripped to maintain his brindle coat color and gave us a groomer, but unfortunately they are not accepting new clients at this time. I guess it might be time to give it the old college try. Any tips so you don't have hair all over your apartment when your're finished? Thanks!

I'm just nervous about requesting hand stripping and ending up with a clipper cut! Thanks everybody, Reggie sends his thank you as well!

Late response;  after everything I've seen/heard about the way cairns have been groomed in many shops...my suggestion would be never leave your dog at a groomers until you know the groomer & everybody who works with/for that shop.  Make the appt, arrive For the appt & stay in sight until the groomer is finished.   And maybe if you see them pick up a clipper, scream bloody murder?  

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses! The breeder suggested that he be hand stripped to maintain his brindle coat color and gave us a groomer, but unfortunately they are not accepting new clients at this time. I guess it might be time to give it the old college try. Any tips so you don't have hair all over your apartment when your're finished? Thanks!

Maybe a late reply, but I do it on the tile kitchen floor and sit on a low stool. I wrap the leash around my waist to keep Betsy close and try to put all of the fur in a pile. Then I just sweep whatever can't be picked up in a ball. I usually end up with a nice grapefruit-sized ball of hair!