CairnTalk

How big is your Cairn?

Scrabble

Welcome to an awesome forum. Like for so many of us it’s a wonderful link with fellow Cairn pet parents.

Unless your vet tells you that Karma is over weight I would  not worry . They are the best judge. Show standards seem to vary for sure. In Alberta I have seen all different sized Cairns win in the show ring. Sam who is far better bred than me, 🤭weighs in at 19.5 pounds and is lean and muscular .

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hey Karma. Hello and welcome. Love that face!  You are a big girl but I can tell you there's quite a few bigger boys and girls among our cairns. My Angus is a smaller guy. 16lbs only but a giant at heart like most cairns. As long as my dogs are lean and muscular and bright eyed I don't worry. Karma sounds like she has a great home with you. Enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Billy is 26 lbs and not fat. Very thick and big boned. He’s also almost 13 now. His knee is popping out but other than that, he’s very healthy. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I thought my two were big Cairns! Scout weighed about 16 pounds and Finch was 17 pounds. Both were all muscle. Scout came from a "backyard breeder", and Finch came from a show breeder. I don't remember their height and weights, but Scout has longer legs than Finch. Scout could jump on our bed and Finch needed a stepping bench to get up. :)

When I can get him to stand still, I'll measure my Toto.  I do know he turned 3 in May, and at the vet's was 20 lbs.  We told the DR it was his 'pandemic' weight.  The vet did not indicate Toto was overweight, but didn't want him gaining any more.  Toto's nice and sturdy, with a nice shape, and very active.  He could chase a ball 24/7, taking a few minutes out to eat twice a day and catching a short nap.

Thanks for the measurement chart, Brad.

• 6 months later...

Hi! Me and my Rufus have just found this chat! He’s my third Cairn and I’ve also owned GSDs.  After a dog free few years I couldn’t stand it any more and so Rufus arrived, he’s clearly read the “ how to be a Cairn “  book!   My other 2 boys were pretty well perfect, Benji  never stepped out of line although Ted would escape at every opportunity, but they never did anything else. Rufus however, nips, argues, answers back, turns werewolf, smells, eats poo, eats socks, hates having his lead and harness on, doesn’t ‘do’ recall, hates being brushed, chews wires, plugs, wood and anything else he shouldn’t!    But I DID want a Cairn with character! He’s red brindle, 10 months old and 23lbs    I feel we have along way to go with this one!  But for that Cairn character and spirit I couldn’t ask for more!

• Like 1

Rufus sure sounds like many a cairn I've met on this site. Roam around there and you will find many stories like yours. My Angus included. He is a red brindle also.

Always the intelligent dark eye twinkling back at you saying. "If I do this thing you ask what's in it for me???" Very independent as they were bred to be in the ancient days. Ready for anything, full of fun and mischief. I got annoyed so many times but also laughed so many times also. Eventually  with patience we got to an understanding and became the best of pals.

Keep him where you can see him at all times. Limit where he can go. Use xpen, baby gates.

• Like 1

Hi Hillscreek!  Yes we have boundaries, he not allowed in my bedroom for starters!   And has to be polite on his walks also stand back when guests come until they invite hi to say hello.  He’s only 10 months so we are going (generally) in the right direction!   

• Like 1