CairnTalk

Coyote Vocalizations

bradl

I was curious about a sound I heard the other night and wondered if it might be a coyote. I went in search of coyote vocalizations on the web and *of course* there were many to choose from. 

Only problem is, I can't finish listening to this without the dogs starting a ruckus of their own.  Posted here to disturb your peace too because I'm a bad, bad person.

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Chuckle chuckle bad person! Angus totally ignored. He looked at the laptop and then went get his ball that we were playing with. "Gee mom, we live in coyote country - what's the big deal? Throw my ball OK!"

On our neighborhood forum there's discussion about a coyote den about a half-mile from our house.  Even so, our dogs have plenty to say about this darn recording. I am starting to wonder about letting Echo out in the middle of the night though. I'm assuming that our motion lights (plus a fence) will discourage most of the potential skulking around. Until recently I've always been more concerned about raccoons!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Rosie reacted the same as Angus.... Perhaps they don't have coyotes in Scotland.... However show her a bunny of any kind or a Squirrely and we have a crazy crazy critter on our hands. :)

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I would play the video if it wasn't an hour before bedtime.  I'll play it someday when Buffy is bored and needs a distraction. :D

Be careful Brad. Esp if the coyotes have babies. Coyotes can eat little dogs. I was warned about this by the neighbors when we first moved out here twenty years ago and had couple of jrts. Never had a problem but never let my dogs out unsupervised.

Well not a problem with my dogs. A bobcat killed six of my bantam chickens one time. I eventually gave up on chickens as lost too many to hungry wild life.

Edited by Hillscreek

I turned up the volume and Sassy turned over and went to sleep. :D :D :D

Up until about six months ago, when the city came in and wiped out the coyote population, we had them living right across the street in a wetland.

I always enjoyed their howls. Would see them run down the street as a short cut from one wetland area to another wetland. Never bothered anybody. But the occasional neighborhood cat that would saunter into the wetland rarely sauntered back out.

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I am starting to wonder about letting Echo out in the middle of the night though. I'm assuming that our motion lights (plus a fence) will discourage most of the potential skulking around. Until recently I've always been more concerned about raccoons!

I would be concerned about any unsupervised night wanderings.  A standard fence or motion-activated lights dissuading a determined coyote(s)?  Pah! Not a chance.  The only thing that those of us who have experienced coyotes know will dissuade them is, fairly likely, a 6ft fence with coyote rollers on it, an 8ft concrete block fence or a top-enclosed dog run.  A defensive/protective dog of about twice a coyote's weight usually will do alright in the situation, too.  And, of course, an encounter with a firearm.

Sorry, been too close to that, and seen the grief happen.  I won't take any chances if I know coyotes are in the area because I have no idea when they might "take a notion" even if they haven't --yet.  And yes, they can/will attack in daylight, too, even though evening/night encounters are more prevalent.

We're in the country and hear coyotes but Packy and Kirby rarely react. One time it sounded like they were right outside my bedroom window and neither dog even twitched! I knew this recording would get them though and I was right. Kirby is a good little howler and will sing along if I start howling, so after lifting his head to listen to the early part, he threw back his head and let the howls rip! It just cracks us up! Packy was under the bed and came out to listen, then went back under the bed after a while.

I'll have to save this because it's just so much fun to hear Kirb howl!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Fine. I'm off to find a recording of babies wailing while dog biscuit bags are crinkled and food dishes are clanged together as a garage door opens. 

Don't forget to include a can opener. :D

I got the "cairn screech of death" while playing that here. Oban just discovered he could do it after he turned two this spring, and now prides himself in scaring off dogs walking along our sidewalk.

We have coyotes in the neighborhood and a fox family a half mile away in the Mississippi River gorge. Also a bald eagle nest there. And we are in the center of Minneapolis, in a neighborhood just outside of downtown.

Oban never goes out unaccompanied so I don't worry. But the eagles were spotted feeding their eaglets a cat last year!

Edited by Kathryn

My Maltese was eaten by a coyote when I was 15 years old. One of the worst nights of my life. In my semi-rural, semi-suburban hometown, cats and small dogs were often victims, even if you were incredibly careful. My little Conrad had an outdoor pen for outside playtime (with a mesh roof) since he couldn't run free in the yard safely. He snuck out of my grasp when I was opening the pen's door to bring him in. Seconds later, he was gone.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

My Maltese was eaten by a coyote when I was 15 years old. One of the worst nights of my life. In my semi-rural, semi-suburban hometown, cats and small dogs were often victims, even if you were incredibly careful. My little Conrad had an outdoor pen for outside playtime (with a mesh roof) since he couldn't run free in the yard safely. He snuck out of my grasp when I was opening the pen's door to bring him in. Seconds later, he was gone.

That's absolutely horrible!  You must have been devastated.

That's my way of saying to be careful with your pups! The longer coyotes live alongside humans, the less afraid they get and the more likely they are to ignore things that used to dissuade them.

After we lost Conrad, our other Maltese never went out unsupervised. And when Addie and I were living there, I kept her on a leash at all times, and supervised on our enclosed porch.

The JRTs I had growing up used to scare the coyotes away, but by the time those dogs were elderly, the coyotes were eating neighbors' pets.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Nature is cruel. The survival of the fittest or biggest. Cant think of anything worse than seeing your beloved pet being eaten or getting hit by a car or truck.