CairnTalk

What breed am i?

kazh84

post-7369-0-13157400-1411133562_thumb.jpMy name is Scruffy. i am a 5 year old male who was sold as a 'maltese cross' clearly i am something more than a maltese, does anyone know what i look like? a cairn x something maybe? i am quite big, 16 kilos and standing up my front paws and nose can reach the kitchen bench. 

• Like 2

Well, it's quite common for a Cairn to change color over the years, so that may be one indication you have some Cairn in you.  If you're even a zillionth Cairn though, you are always welcome here!  Buffy, my Cairn, said she thinks you're hot, by the way.   :wub:

I really don't see anything that makes me think of a Cairn. A typical Cairn would be about 1/2 Scruffy's weight and a typical Maltese would be about 1/6 his weight---things just don't add up. If I were looking only at terriers I would think that Scruffy more closely resembles a Glen of Imaal Terrier.

George

Hehe thanks Buffy  :wub:

Whilst scruffy is a lot bigger than a cairn he still has stumpy short legs. 

I don't think i'll ever know I've had sooo many people ask me what he is, and i'll continue to shrug. he's my little heinz variety. 

35 lbs? Big guy! My cairn is close to 30 pounds, and he has a very long back, short legs, and a long silky coat. I think it is possible that your fellow might have some Cairn in him. I don't know.

My boy's parents, Butch and Priscilla, were supposedly registered with the American Kennel Club, but I never did find them when I looked them up. I don't remember the kennel name anymore. I don't know if I was given a bogus certificate or not, but Nikki is Cairn enough for me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

what a sweet guy. i can easily see cairn, especially with the note that he was dark when a puppy and got lighter. very cairn-like. the rest? with the soft coat, i might go for poodle (standard) or maybe cocker spaniel. 

:offtopic: gttd I belong to a geneological group in UK. Several members have had DNA tests and found them worthwhile. Don't know where you'd go in US and I'm sure there maybe scams. Do the research first before paying out $$. Guessing it might be more expensive than your quote.

Scruffy is adorable and looks to me like he's got some Cairn in him.  If he had the ears, he would look a lot like a Cairn and also the color change which happens with a lot of Cairns.  He's a handsome boy and no matter what breeds are hiding within this little man, he's precious and a winner for sure.