CairnTalk

How did you get started in showing?

catiboo

Hi all!

It's been a while since I've posted here! Life has gotten in the way! Anyway, I've always been interested in the sport of showing dogs and recently attended a dog show put on my the local kennel club. Now, I'm even more interested in it! So my question is, does any one here show in conformation events and how did you get started?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to answer me! I greatly appreciate it! :D

We got started because we wanted a second Cairn. The breeder (our mentor) agreed to co-own the pick of a litter with us if we would show him. She taught us how to groom, encouraged us to go to handling class (and shared lots of tips and advice) and so on. It was a great experience. 

You can also get started by establishing yourself as a member of the local show scene. I see people get into showing by going to all the local shows (and by local I mean anything within about a four hour one-way driving distance) and hanging out and helping out. If you show an interest and watch, listen, and learn you may eventually be asked to take a dog in as a favor for someone.  Sometimes an exhibitor will have multiple dogs entered in various classes such that it can occur that they are required to be in the ring with two dogs at the same time! That can't be done, so *someone* has to take one of the dogs in. Usually it's a friend or fellow exhibitor who has no dog in the ring at that moment. If you are known and familiar and have shown  interest and aptitude, you may get a chance just because you're available ringside. 

Before you know it, you'll be asking if you can be a show home for that litter someone is planning :P

Another great way to see dog shows from the inside-out is to get involved with your all-breed kennel club and volunteer. The work is hard and not very glamorous, but you will be saturated in the dog show experience and get a very good feel for how it goes and if it's something you'd like to do. And you will meet people, which is key.

If there is a Cairn club in your part of the country, find it and join it!

The single best way to get a good dog to show is by word of mouth and by being present and "knowable" by the folks who are doing quality breeding. They want the best homes and will tend to be a lot more comfortable investing a part of their breeding program with someone they have seen a lot and know well than they are with a  person they got an email or phone call from. 

Just some random thoughts.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club