CairnTalk

Is this a scam?

Hillscreek

In my email today an invoice for $12.00 renewal for for my cairn talk subscription. Thought of forwarding the link but figured maybe better not till I ask Bradl.

You and I (and many others) signed up as "subscribers" a while back.  I recall paying my subscriber dues at that time but I am unsure how the subscription is renewed or how often.  I know the money goes to support the expense of operating the forum. 

Brad?

I tend to view CairnTalk as a not-a-scam, but then I'm somewhat biased.

The sponsorship option "packages" are annual subscriptions, hence they have a built-in renewal option; the system will automatically generate renewals notices to anyone who doesn't choose automatic renewal when they check out. (Those folks theoretically get a "you're about to be charged" message.) Current subscribers can see and manage any subscriptions they may have in the "client area:purchases" area of their personal settings.

I set this whole concept up for the first time last year, so this is the first cycle through for me too. I'm going to try to add some context language to the automatically generated message if I can keep it generic enough to fit all likely scenarios (current and future).

Obviously circumstances change and just as no one should feel the slightest obligation to subscribe in the first place they likewise should feel no hesitation to let a subscription lapse either.

Since at this time there are no functional differences between subscribers and members other than a colored badge, you don't lose anything by lapsing. I may some day add more attachment storage or gallery space for subscribers, but at this point I have not done so. If I do, it will be applied retroactively to any current subscribers.

As always, I'm profoundly grateful for everyone who makes CairnTalk a useful and friendly place to hang out and talk Cairn. As long as I am able to do so, I intend to maintain it as a free resource.

(moving to "forum support")

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Brad you are a kind hearted person to keep the forum going and keeping it free. Now you have the added responsibility of business manager. This is like PBS on tv. If you can donate great, if not you are still welcome to watch for free. I'm happy to support CairnTalk and your effort to keep it free.

I also appreciate you helping me subscribe by sending you a money order. I just heard on the news tonight 4 million names and social security numbers were hacked in 2 health care centers in Chicago. Not sure the newspeople have those numbers correct, 4 million sounds like a lot for 2 health care places. I quit using my credit cards at the stores a few years ago. I feel bad putting you through the hassle of handling a money order. You are a good person to help a scaredy-cat like me. When a renewal notice arrives in the email the money order will be in the mail.

Happily renewed my subscription today. Sorry Brad - just so much junk comes across my inbox no matter how careful I try to be.

Very glad to support this interesting caring and lively forum dedicated to our spirited little pals.

How do I do this out of country Brad?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Easy, Terrier Lover, just like buying anything else online.

Can't remember where to find this on the site, Brad has hidden it away discreetly.

:shy: There's a clickable purple link on the sidebar, below status updates and above upcoming calendar events …

post-3-0-45724600-1408591074.png

Every once in a while, an ad appears at the bottom of a topic page where the line drawings usually go.  Finally, www.cairntalk.net/store will get you there...

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

• 2 weeks later...

All subscriptions will have an auto-reminder sent out.

It's only auto-renewed if you asked it to keep your card on file (that information never touches our server here — it is only seen and used by the credit card processor and they are more secure than your bank). 

Messages will either provide a link to take you where you need to go to pay an invoice (for renewal) or simply inform you that a card on file has been successfully processed and no further action is necessary. 

You can see where you are in the cycle at any time by going to your own member menu and choosing client area → purchases, as shown in these screenshots:

post-3-0-58584200-1409601941_thumb.png

post-3-0-06845900-1409601947_thumb.png [click to embiggen]

You can see when a subscription was purchased and when it expires.