CairnTalk

Wasps

Sam I Am

A FB friends welsh terrier has been in critical care now for 4 days. He collapsed a half hour after swallowing a wasp. He hardly had a heart beat when rushed to emerg. First the vets thought it might be a cancerous abscess somewhere in his body as sepsis was evident the second night, he was in really bad shape. He is slightly more stable now and able to at least stand. The poor woman that owns him is a wreck (and grateful she has insurance) as I am sure the bill is now in the many thousands. The vets still are not sure what is going on but it is starting to point towards an extreme reaction to swallowing a wasp. A half hour after he swallowed it his digestive system broke it down and the neurotoxins flooded his body .

I think back to when Jock took great joy in being the best bee and wasp hunter ever. He would grab them shake his head , drop them and proceed to mangle them. He never seemed to get stung (as far as I knew) but if I had known what can happen I would have been a basket case. I could never convince him that what he was doing in the back yard was potentially dangerous. I hope the little welsh terrier makes it. He is a fighter .

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh dear, I hope he will be well soon. Didn't know they were do dangerous. Guess we dodged a bullet, when Keira was a puppy, she was stung as she tried to catch a wasp.  Anyway, hope the little welch will be fine soon.

Yikes. Prayers and best wishes for the Welsh terrier and his owner.

I'm glad my guy doesn't eat bugs anymore. O_o I would rather he run away from a fly than get sick.

Oh my, how awful!  I pray the poor thing gets better soon. I had no idea how potentially dangerous wasps could be. Thank you for the heads up.

Oh how horrible.  This scares me to death, Tess is always going after bees, I haven't seen any wasps around but I'm sure they're out there, I have birdhouses which I try to clean out after each nesting, however, I think I'm going to take them down.....better safe than sorry.  I hope your friends welsh terrier is on the mend.  My heart goes out to her. :(

Just an update on the welsh boy. They took out the feeding tube, and he ate some sweet potato and turkey baby food. Yippee! And although still at emerg, went for a very short walk and was smelling peemails...always a good sign. :) hopefully there hasn't been damage in regards to liver kidney function.

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Update on Dylan the Welsh Terrier, who is eleven yrs old now and has won every agility.obedience title there is. He got to go home today! Yahoo. They still have to see what the long term damage is, if any but I am sure his owner at last can sleep at night.

This is where pet insurance comes into the fore front. Pretty sure the tab on this one is well over 5K. The owner commented on FB that she was so grateful to have it as she was worried sick about her dog but didn't have to worry where the money was going to come from for his care, especially if his stay in emerg continued on.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

!ome is the place to be. What wonderful achievements he has behind him in agility. Hope many years of fun ahead.

The wasp are horrible around here this year.  And I have sprayed like crazy - darn things won't die.  They just burro more holes in the ground.  These are ugly red big devils.  Luckily Demps and Els show no interest in them.

So glad Dylan is coming out of this.  Also happy that she did have insurance - what a relief.  You just never know what the little devils will get into.  Dylan being home is wonderful - best wishes for continued good health.  Eleven and going strong. :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

thanks so much of for posting the follow-ups. these stories so pull at the heart. i am so relieved that dylan seems to be bouncing back. good luck to him!

The wasp are horrible around here this year.  And I have sprayed like crazy - darn things won't die.  They just burro more holes in the ground.  These are ugly red big devils.  Luckily Demps and Els show no interest in them.

So glad Dylan is coming out of this.  Also happy that she did have insurance - what a relief.  You just never know what the little devils will get into.  Dylan being home is wonderful - best wishes for continued good health.  Eleven and going strong. :)

Pour a little kerosene down those holes and then light them on fire at night time. Makes really nice yard lights.  :devil:

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Hey...Mrs. Dempsy's Mom....if those wasps you describe are large and red...they are a GOOD kind.  In other words they are digging in the ground for grubs!!  GRUBS bad!!  RED wasp GOOD!!  Or at least as I see it from a garden perspective.  So....I just leave them be and try to misdirect the furkids to leave them bee also.  They don't last to long if they are the ones I am describing....bout' a month here in TX.

Glad to hear the pup in the start of this topic is doing well...good wishes to all!

http://www.hotchin.net/welshterrier/photos-and-stories/peggy-and-dylan.html

This is Dylan the Welsh Terrier. Now at home and doing better. I didn't know it but he has won the most titles of any Welsh Terriers in Canada. :)

Edited by Terrier lover

Wow, cool article!  Glad he is recovering. 

Shergry - they are big red ones.  I will look them up on the internet before I turn them into yard lights. :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

So now I am curious. Who is the top Cairn in the US?

Most titles across multiple disciplines? Not sure that information is tracked by anyone other than the individual owner's brag book. With the number of agility titles available, plus added classes and titles in obedience, with a sprinkling of other disciplines I know that if a judge at an earthdog test reads off the full name of some of these dogs they have to stop in the middle to take a breath :P

2014 so far, according to whatever system Canine Chronicle uses, top conformation show Cairn in breed-specific rankings and all-breed rankings appears to be Lexie. ← click that one for photo

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

What a lovely dog!

Yes. I believe she's a very good representative - moderate, balanced.  She recently won our local specialty (see results page for photos of several of the winning dogs that day). 

I'd quote from the CTCA clarification of the US standard, but the Canadian clarification has a slightly better illustration of ears (the Canadians use the FCI or "country of origin" standard). 

post-3-0-83214700-1407525037_thumb.png

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Well gttd that's how a show cairn is supposed to look - and very nice too.

The rest of us cairns look every which way and are every which size. Just look through our pics!

However we look no-one would mistake our lively, independent, prey driven very vocal little buddies for anything else!

• Like 1