CairnTalk

Having trouble with some features

Autumn & Lola

I recently have been having trouble with the "view new content" feature. I messaged Brad, who suggested I try a few things. It turns out that in the last week, whenever I click on that feature, it comes up as "no new content", even though when I searched manually, there was new content.

On Brad's suggestion, I looked at my filters on the left side of the page. Several times when I signed on, the filters had changed. (I had not changed them, nor had any trouble with this feature previously.) So I reset my filters and now it seems okay. I will know to check my filters if the problem arises again.

I wanted to thank you, Brad for the suggestions, but now my message feature isn't working. :D  I've signed on and off a couple times, but nada.  

but now my message feature isn't working.

How odd. Can you be a touch more specific as to what not working means? I just used the "log in as" admin feature to view the board with all your settings and permissions and the messenger system appeared to be enabled and ready to work for you. You've only used up about half of the available message space, so you certainly haven't run out of storage room.

post-3-0-82011900-1406933992_thumb.png

What happens when you click on the "new messages" link in the welcome bar?

post-3-0-38253000-1406933991_thumb.png

What happens when you click on the "Messenger" link in the member bar waaaay up at the top?

post-3-0-31651000-1406933992.png

I did notice that in the notifications settings for your profile you don't seem to have anything ticked (popup, email, or "badge" on notifications menu); for example a subset of my settings:

post-3-0-38184200-1406934652_thumb.png

That just means you wouldn't know if you had messages unless you manually checked for them. 

Hillscreek: I never log out unless I'm testing something or troubleshooting (or if I've borrowed someone else's computer, ipad, or phone to check in). 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I never use the "new messages" feature that is directly under "Welcome Autumn & Lola!"  I just tried it and it does bring me to my messages, so thank you!

It is the link all the way at the top of the page, in the member bar, that I normally use. When I say it doesn't work, I mean that when I click on it, nothing happens.

When I do get a message, it puts a little "1" (in red I believe) next to the link.

Thanks for the heads up about the other way to retrieve my messages (not that I get many waaaaahhhh!) I had forgotten about retrieving them with the other link. :)

Yay, glad it's working for you, somewhat.

On the links way up top, can you click any of them?  Are you using a tablet or phone? I ask because sometimes the "target" of a touch-click seems to be offset sometimes on a tablet — not for me on this site, but on some sites sometimes. I suspect it's a mobile CSS positioning thing (meaning something to do with the code that styles the page for different display devices).

Here's a pro tip for anyone regarding general troubleshooting any time something weird is happening:  try setting the forum to the default Test theme and see if the same thing happens or whether the behavior is different. You can do that using the theme switcher at the bottom of the forum.

post-3-0-55661300-1406993905_thumb.png

If something doesn't work normally with the normal CairnTalk theme and is also broken in the Test theme, then the issue is more likely in either the core software or your browsing environment (or our server environment). If it's broken with CairnTalk but works when using the Test theme, then it is very likely something in the customization. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

Everything works on the member bar except the message feature. It is weird!  I am on my laptop. I have not tested my tablet to see if I have the same problem.

I will try the Test theme tip. Thank you, again. :)

I went into the Test theme. I couldn't click on Messages nor Notifications. Then I couldn't get back to the current theme. It was only when I clicked on this topic's link, that it went back to the current theme.

I went into the Test theme. I couldn't click on Messages nor Notifications. 

So we can rule out the theme as the culprit. If it were the default theme, it would most likely be true for everyone.  I'd be curious how common this is, and if true for anyone else, what browser and device (Chrome on Mac, safari on ipad, firefox on Win8 PC, etc.) and if any "internet security" or third-party popup  or ad blockers are being used. Odd that if I'm logged in as you, it works normally.  (Chrome, Mac desktop).

At the moment, I'm baffled :confused:

Then I couldn't get back to the current theme. It was only when I clicked on this topic's link, that it went back to the current theme.

That sounds like garden-variety browser caching.

I'm beginning to suspect your laptop has been taken over by a mischievous spirit :ghost:

I'm beginning to suspect your laptop has been taken over by a mischievous spirit :ghost:

I would't be a bit surprised. It's been acting wacky lately. I am trying to nurse this little baby along for another year, then I will give it a respectful burial. It's a 6 year old Gateway and I love it. I don't want to have to get a UK computer with their wacky keyboards. LOL!  I am running Chrome.  

Thank you for your help! As long as I can read and respond to things, I am happy. :)

I used the Geek Squad in the states a couple times many years ago, but then found an independent guy who was better, faster and cheaper.

However, I now live in England, so no Best Buy and no Geek Squad.

I have never been able to post pictures on this site

Next time you're motivated to post an image and can't, start a new forum support topic describing where you get stuck (or what unexpected thing happens) and we'll talk you through.  

Hope you can get picture posting fixed gttd. We love to see and share pics of our adorable cairns doing anything or nothing. What is your cairn's name?