CairnTalk

Pet Insurance

mom42terrificgirls

I found a thread about pet insurance, but it was four years old. Getting another dog will require more out-of-pocket vet care. Do any of you have pet insurance that you are happy with? We live in Texas. No need to suggest Banfield, as we have already researched that plan. We are pondering insurance v. putting money away somewhere. Thanks for your replies.

Rosie is the first dog we have ever had pet insurance on. I wish we had done this with Jock! We use a company called Trupanion and they have been awesome in reimbursement and they even reduced our monthly fee after a year of some fairly big bills. Would not be without it. For me it's knowing that if there are serious issues that arise that I won't hesitate to give her the best medical care available. A friend has a fluff ball of a dog who at four months of age leaped off the sofa breaking several bones in her leg. Emerg surgery, pins etc and $5000 later she is fine now. Her insurance covered most of it. I don't ever want to make the decision of care vs euthanizing due to money!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I'm ambivalent about it. I've owned quite a few  dogs over the years and never insured any of them. Fortunate in having had major expense only once. Paid this out of money put aside for emergencies. This works better for me than paying an insurance company vast sums I might never use. Put money aside yourself and it earns interest and is ready if needed.

Another alternative is to get a loan if a big bill comes along. Sometimes your vet will help out here.

Well, I am all for pet insurance! Holly would not have had proper treatment, the hydrotherapy or anything if I had not insurance, as no way could I have afforded over £2000 pounds (not sure what that is in dollars sorry).

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I pay $48 dollars a month with a deductible of $200. I think the interest rate at the bank up here is not even 1% in a saving accounts. I spend more on coffee and lattes in a month. Veterinary medicines isn't like the old days. It's amazingly expensive now given all the new technology and procedures. Critical care emerg up here starts at. $1000 a night!

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

I have also had many pets and very few vet bills.  This little thing with Dempsy's leg has made me wonder about it, but I am with Hillscreek.  It would also work better for me to put $ aside rather than pay a premium.

Being on a farm we get hit all the time with agents wanting to sell us more and more insurance - some people end up insurance poor. Just this month, in fact, our insurance agent switched our farm insurance and was telling us what a great deal it was to insure our cattle.  Only $50 more dollars a month (I forget the figure, but it wasn't much) you can insure your cattle.  You never know when lightening will hit. Jim didn't say anything, but I finally informed the agent we will not be insuring the cattle.  He was shocked.  I told him don't need it.  He gave me the lightening threat again.  I told him no.  It has been years since we have had any of our cattle get hit by lightening.  We don't have that many cattle and we don't need the insurance.  Those agents will nickel and penny you to death if you let them.

Anyway I can see why some opt for it ... nice to have peace of mind  .... it is tempting  .... better put some $ in my fund now and make myself a monthly reminder and then you have to keep the fund forever for all your fur babies to come.  $48 a month seems high to me, but I know nothing about pet insurance.  

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I don't insure my horse (s) either. I totally get why farmers don't insure all their animals. I have a good friend that has a horse breeding operation with 5 stallions standing at stud. They are all imported from Europe and cost a lot of money but the insurance is so high they can't afford it. $48 dollars a month for me is peace of mind. Scottie's are not the healthiest dogs and it's already paid off already. With Jock and his liver issues , with liver biopsy, many ultrasounds, tests etc I wish I had had insurance..I know I would have paid for it anyway and did, , insurance or no insurance. It's just a personal choice . I am grateful our health care is paid for at lest we don't need insurance for that. :)

Edited by Terrier lover

• 8 months later...

Bringing up this old thread of mine because with two now, we are seriously considering pet insurance, although I'm not sure anyone would cover Finny with his distemper in the past. Any other suggestions besides Terrier Lover's Trupanion suggestion, which I will definitely check out? We are in the States. Thanks for your feedback!

I also have Trupanion for Sassy. She is now 10 1/4 years old and my monthly premium is $45.25 with a $500.00 deductible.

Trupanion covers 90% I cover 10%. Of course like all insurance, they only pay on things that they cover.

I have never used it and I hope that I never have to.

Doing some math:

Assuming you have no need to use the insurance for say 10 years and assuming a constant premium (they actually go up with age).

Premium paid $5430.00 money gone.

Saving that amount instead of buying the insurance is wonderful if you can get through 10 years without a need. And especially no need in the early years.

Keep in mind that the example doesn't include the lower premium that the policy started with when Sassy was 5 years old. So that total will actually be less.

As I say it is a crap shoot. Security vs risk. Which do you want vs what you can afford?

Edited by remltr

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

• 2 weeks later...

I kept wavering back and forth until, on the recommendation of a friend I went with ASPCA Pet Health Insurance (Level 1, Injuries only- not illness) insurance. She got it fairly cheaply, but (for injury/accident only). Shortly after, her pooch swallowed some anti-freeze, almost died and was in intensive care for a number of days. All her costly bills for meds, care, hospitalization were paid in full. Maybe there was a small deductible, but I can't remember. One can use any vet of their choice and submit the bills for reimbursement.

When I first adopted Ruffy, at 3.5 yrs, his injury-only coverage was approx. $12.50 per month.  Now at 7.5 yrs., it's up to approx. $16.00 per mo. My biggest fear for Ruffy was that he would get hurt because he constantly challenged larger, stronger dogs in a wildly aggressive, threatening way. He has since calmed down somewhat, but not completely, so I continue with the insurance.

I realize this coverage is not for everyone, but it's relatively cheap and offers some peace of mind, but as stated above, we all make our own individual decisions in such matters.

FEAR THE CAIRN!