CairnTalk

My First Foster Baby

mom42terrificgirls

I went to the dog show and Saturday and, of course, left as a foster parent. The rescue group I got Callie from had a booth there. They remember her well. I asked if they by chance had a dog that would do well with Callie's bossy personality, and they immediately thought of this guy. He is 2 years old, very sweet and submissive. I wanted a male because Callie is so territorial.  He is currently in the hospital recovering from kennel cough. I am hoping to foster him with the hope the two get along and he will become a member of our family. His current name is Rufus (the black Shih Tzu mix on the left). I want to change his name to a different male name (not a generic name like Puddle, Spot, etc.). I am BEYOND EXCITED!! If he gets well soon, I will get him this weekend!!!! Any tips on how a working mom can introduce two dogs into one dog's home would be appreciated. I was told to introduce them and let them play away from our home first. Also, to buy him a new bed. Callie has two but of course they have her scent on them.

post-7048-0-79813200-1405948552_thumb.jp

Thanks for the tips! I feed Callie mostly homemade food. I will have to feed them separately because of this, also, because it would not be fair for him to eat homemade if he ends up not staying with us. My friend cooked a dog food recipe last night that Callie absolutely LOVES. She makes a month's worth at a time. I'm going to post it here when she sends it to me.

• Like 1

Congratulations! 

I think Rufus will manage just fine with Callie.  I have a similar pair - Buffy (Cairn) and Ziggy, who is part Shih Tzu.  Expect some squabbles at first.  Expect that the two of them may have some serious-sounding differences.  Watch carefully and you will be able to judge when you need to intervene and when you should let them work it out for themselves.  Just don't forget to keep treating Callie as Dog #1 in the house. 

I can't wait to see more pics and hear more stories!

Sorry I don't have any advice as I've never had two dogs at the same time, but he is adorable!  Good luck! :)

Good for you!  and good for Rufus!  Hope he recovers quickly - this weekend will be exciting if he does.  No advice.  When I introduced Elsie to Dempsy they hit it off right away.  Dempsy is the dominate one, but that's ok with Elsie.  Good luck!  Looking forward to stories! :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

The new doggie is now out of the hospital. The rescue lady wants to keep him until August 2nd, as he still has a bit of a cough, likely from the low positive heartworms, not the kennel cough. I can't wait to meet him! Thinking about calling him Linus, Fritz or Winston, leaning towards Linus. Will have to wait until I see his personality and how he responds. Plus, his name now, Rufus, ends with the same sound, "us." If you have any other male name suggestions that are not generic, please let me know. Can you tell I'm jumping up and down for joy? Callie, not so much.  :confused: 

Idaho Cairns

I'm pretty straightforward when it comes to dog "introductions"--put 'em together (where they are going to be permanently anyway) and monitor the situation for a few minutes and immediately correct the "Alpha Dog" to reestablish exactly who is dominant in the home.  You should be able to bring any dog, person, or thing into your home without worry about your dog's reaction.  It is a control thing and the human must always have it.
Generally if you assert yourself in the mix early on there are few problems for either dog in adjusting to the changed reality.