CairnTalk

Another problem

Dempsy's Mom

Well.  This is a bad one.  First of all you need to understand farm life.  We come and go like crazy - it's a job that takes you away from the farm for 15 minutes, sometimes you'll be gone 5-6 hours, maybe it will be 14 hours - you just never know - and you can't plan your day.  The South Dakota weather is very unpredictable and we live on a ridge of hills, which makes the clouds move in funny manners. 

There was a small chance of rain the other day.  We were gone.  It thundered and by no means was it a thunder storm.  It thundered ... maybe once.  But even a cloudy sky seems to bring out havoc with Wert.  When we returned to the farm Wert had the front door of the house completely ripped to hell and the wood box frame ripped into.  It's a steel door.  Jim completely came unglued and informed me that that dog in going. 

Today I went to town and brought some paint and wood fill.  I am ready to take the door off and fix it, but when I got back from town I see that Wert had been at the door again.  What the hell.  I can't kennel him all the time and I am not going to sedate him.  Plus today it is just cloudy out - so why attack the door today?  I am at a loss what to do with him.  I will fix the door, but I am afraid of what action Jim will take.  I know that after I get it all put back together I am going to be on pins and needles with Wert.  It's like living with a ticking time bomb.  Yuck.  Otherwise Wert is doing well and happy. :confused:

I haven't fix the wood door yet and I see he took another hunk out of that ... didn't tell Jim.

I thought maybe I shouldn't of let him in the house at all, but I don't think that made a difference.  He knows we are in here and he sees Demps and Els run in and out. 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Was wert inside or out? He has such a great life with you that I would just kennel him when you aren't around. It beats going to a shelter..or worse.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Wow, Lori.  Wert must be in a state of sheer terror to rip up a door like that.  Poor guy.  You have to wonder what causes such an extreme reaction.  I agree with Terrier Lover about the kennel, but do you think a kennel could hold him?  I mean, if he can do that to a steel door . . .

Sigh.  You have *so* much work to do and you're coming off a bad week after losing Digger.  I hope something can be worked out with Wert.

He will have this issue no matter where he goes and I would rather see him in a loving home as Lori has than someone that just turfs him out which is what seemingly happened with him to begin with. I think Lori has put him in the kennel before when the weather was turning unpredictable and I think it worked out ok. Lori? If you leave him outside does he try to get into the house? I know he runs when the weather is bad but he did come back.

Jim will come around no doubt if Wert is kennelled . (A few tears Lori, a sad face and a good meal works wonders. ;). )

Nothing is perfect but I would rather see him humanely euthanized than put back into a shelter to endure who knows what and who. He isn't purebred and I know up here in our part of the world , breed specific rescue sites pretty much

Will only rescue a purebred dog. Sad but true. An old dog like Wert will have a tough time being adopted out. On the other hand you can't have him destroy your home either.

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Oh, gosh.  It's so hard to know what to do, isn't it?  Does he feel better when he's crated?  Packy has really had a hard time with fireworks this year (people are still setting them off) and he feels best and is the most calm when he's in his crate.  If that's the case with Wert, I'd just crate him whenever you leave him.  That way you know there won't be issues if the weather changes or he's got the separation anxiety going on.  If he reacts badly to being crated, then I guess a visit to the vet for a talk about sedation would be in order if you plan to keep him.  Poor guy, I guess this is how he ended up with you; his previous family couldn't deal with it.  He's lucky but you can understand Jim's frustration at the damage.  Good luck...

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I know it sounds upsetting but I wonder if you muzzled him with a basket muzzle in the kennel when you aren't around if that would work. At least he wouldn't be able to bite his way out.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/teaching-your-dog-wear-muzzle

Ok forget this idea. I just finished reading some articles for this and some against. The some against were saying the dog could really injure himself trying to get it off !

Edited by Terrier lover

I don't have anything constructive to add, but just wanted to say I'm sorry this has happened and hope you can find a suitable answer soon for  all parties involved. You've had a rough enough week as it is!

• Like 1

Wert is always outside wanting in when he rips the doors apart.  He gets along pretty good in the kennel.  I have a great dog house in there that he hasn't attempted to eat.  He likes that dog house and I think he feels safe in there. I have used the kennel every time I know there is going to be a storm but I can't out guess all the weather.   I guess I can try to kennel him every time we leave but that's not really the answer because if I run around and look for Wert every time we are ready for field work Jim is gonna have a hissy.  But it is a short term solution - I will call the vet and ask about meds as suggested. 

I got the wood fill in all the holes today put a fan on it so it would dry and then re-filled and the fan is still blowing on the door.  Tomorrow I will take the door down and prime and paint.  Actually it looks really nice.  All the holes filled in nicely.  I will have a whole new entry door.  The holes in the steel door were from the decorative panels that he tore off.  The holes in the wood frame were easy enough to fix.  There was blood on the door - he must of used his teeth too. Poor Wert.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

i know you can't kennel him all the time but can you kennel him in there when you are away? or perhaps make it his home while the weather is survivable? do you have a corner of the barn you could do in chain link like an indoor kennel in the winter? i guess this is how wert ended up as a vagabond --he must have panicked and broken out of whatever his former owners had him in. he likes so much of the life at your place and seems to make a contribution. obviously you can have him destroying the architecture, but i wonder if there are chain link kennel solutions that can get between him and disaster. 

• Like 1

Poor old boy, he really must be terrified. You are such a caring person Lori. I hope you find a solution for Wert and you.

• Like 1

This is going to sound nuts. Is there a radio you can leave on near the kennel? When I got Oscar the parrot I left the tv on when I went to work. Parrots can suffer from separation anxiety. They tear their feathers out and they don't grow back. The bird ends up bald in those spots. Oscar was from a pet shop where he got loads of attention all day long. I wasn't sure how he would handle coming home with me and being left alone all day. So the tv was on. He could hear and see people on the tv even though none of them tried to scratch his head poor bird. Oscar did just fine.

I don't know about dog separation anxiety so this is just a suggestion. Does anyone know if a radio of tv would help a dog have a sense of company when no one is around? You probably can't bring a tv out there but maybe with a portable radio he would hear voices.

Hope things work out. You have been through so much and are handling things the best you can.

I am so sorry that your going through this, poor Wert, I feel so badly for him.  Maisie has issues with thunderstorms and fire crackers, she will shake uncontrollably at times.  She likes to hide behind a pillow when she hears the thunder, makes her feel a little more secure.  I also got her a thunder shirt, which she seems to like and it does calm her down somewhat.  It most likely wouldn't work on Wert, although you never know, stranger things have happened.  I sometimes will give her an all natural calming chew along with the shirt and she's not nearly as bad.  I hope that you can get some help for him, this boy has been through a lot and he seems to like camping out at your place....I'm sure you have a lot to do with it, dogs know when people care about them.  Good luck! 

• Like 1

My beautiful pit bull Dovi that we lost 3 years ago had separation anxiety when she was put in a confined space and she would go nuts!  I came home one day before I knew this and she had chewed her way out of an airline kennel through the steel bars.  Blood was everywhere.  She had snapped one of her lower canines in half..... ugh.  Even in an enclosed room she would panic!  She ended up having the run of the house, sleeping contentedly on a large dog bed.

Separation anxiety is so weird and she was perfect other than that and we learned our lesson about the kenneling.

Pepper loves her crate and runs to it whenever we are heading out the door....I am blessed!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

Dempsy has been holding up his back left leg now for a couple days.  This morning I took him to the vet.  He gave us some Rimadyl  for inflammation and pain.  One week and if no improvement we will go back for x-rays. ?

Asked him about Wert.  He suggested that we try Benadryl, but was not real optimistic on prescription drugs being the answer.  He thought just kennel him.  ?

Kitty and Elsie spent the night together in the entry while I am painting the front door.  It is a nice kitty.  This morning I put the door back on and now the other 3 doors in the entry look like crap.  ?

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh, dear . . . I hope Dempsy will be OK.  Maybe he pulled a muscle while tending to his Farm Manager duties?

• Like 1

Ah yes. The ups and downs of owning critters. At times you gotta wonder why given all the issues that come along with them..but...I don't know about anyone else, but  my  life would not be complete without being greeted daily by a furry face smiling at you, tail a wagging and a few woo woos! :wub: Hope Demps feels better soon.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Poor Demps - feel better soon buddy - Angus  PS Wert can help you get the other three doors ready for painting.

Angus you naughty boy......

Happy that Elsie and kitty are friends

• Like 1

Woof! Malcolm here. As Clan Chieftain of My Backyard and the Neighbor's too I put an official hex on all the bad luck that has been plaguing Dempsy's Mom. Malcolm raises his right paw and growls. Malcolm says "BEGONE ALL BAD THINGS FROM DEMPSY'S FARM!"

Malcolm's Dad here. Ok Malcolm has had his say. Hope Dempsy gets better. The one good thing is Elsie and Kitty are getting along so well. I've used Benadryl on Malcolm when he gets an itchy rear from the late summer allergies. It helps a little. Did the vet say how much to use on Wert? Hope it helps if you have to use it.

• Like 2

He says to go by his weight.  Wert is so happy it's ridiculous.

Demps is still holding his leg up this morning. ?  He uses it though.  The vet moved it around so much that my leg would hurt too after all those different positions. :confused1:  If he doesn't improve by the weeks end I will take him in for an x-ray.

I was out in the yard painting this morning and kitty comes up ..... limping.  "Really kitty? Are you kidding me?  I am thinking that your leg is asleep and I will look at you later."  Maybe she sees Demps getting all the attention and thought she would grab some too. :)

I agree, animals can be a real pain in the puttuney, but the heart is strong and they know there safe.  THANK YOU MALCOLM!!  I can already feel the dark cloud dissipating over head.  (oops.  I hope Wert doesn't see that dark cloud or he'll go nuts. :))

Pepper Bug's Mom:  I actually did think about that.  Letting Wert inside is maybe the answer .... but ..... there are so many buts that I push that thought away.  If I was alone I would. .... so maybe ..... get rid of Jim?

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

mmmmm...dog..husband...dog...husband. I dont know Lori,  :twisted:  it would be a toss up!

• Like 2

You know that we have a lot of secrets that we hide from our husbands when the animals do something that we DON'T want the spouse to see!  Cat secrets.... dog secrets... quick clean up and pretend nothing happened! ha ha!  I am so glad the kitty is still with you, too! 

• Like 2

Pepper's Mom

mmmmm...dog..husband...dog...husband. I dont know Lori,  :twisted:  it would be a toss up!

Very, very tough decision.  Who is cuter? :P

• Like 1

They are both cute.  They both need me to feed them.  They both have attitudes and need me to adjust them once in a while. They both need me to groom them.  They both need daily praise.  They both need hugs. They both need help once in a while.  It is a toss up, but being they are also both male, I think I can work around them and please them both.  :P .... I hope

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori