CairnTalk

Our new stray

Dempsy's Mom

post-4719-0-43502600-1399676429.jpgpost-4719-0-15842900-1399676422.jpg

Here is a pic of our new dilemma. 

post-4719-0-90279800-1399676433.jpg

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Lori take him to a no kill shelter. If he is missing and has a chip they perhaps can track down the owner. If not hopefully someone will adopt him. If he has been ignored and mistreated the stupid owners hopefully don't want him anyway and at least at a shelter he will have a chance to go to a loving and caring home. Of course you could always keep him also, but really it doesn't sound like you need more critters to look after! People assume that if they dump a dog in the country some farmer will look after it. Happens a lot in our area which I find sickening.

I am sure he must feel way better having had a bath and a trim. :)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Wonder if he told Demps his story. They look to be talking about stuff. Poor guy. At least you have been able to give him a bit of care. Sounds like he's been lost or uncared for for a long time.

• Like 1

Just got in from planting.  I will take him to the vets here in town in the morning to see if he has a chip.  The shelters are 35 miles away and I believe there no kill.  I won't have a chance to get there until next week.  I am tired - going to bed.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Ok.  Got back from vets - no chip.  Most farm dogs won't have chips so I am not surprised.  I hate the idea of a shelter - there are so many dogs in the shelters.  I will ask around the neighborhood first.  For now his name is Wonder - Wonderdog - because I wonder where he came from. :confused1:  He sure is a docile soul.

I just came in from cutting more mats of hair out of this dog.  I can tell he feels better, but these mats of hair are so thick and nasty.  I worry about mites.  He really needs to be shaved on his back end. If the mats of hair don't come off you will never be able to wash him as needed.  Front part of his body is fairly good.  He is going to drive me nuts.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh no! What is this? Another dog that needs help? How is it they find their way to you? There must be an invisible sign on your house that only the dogs can see. It says Come here. This lady will help you.

Gone to the dogs thanks for that info. I didn't know that about the no kill shelters.

I don't know where you're getting your information on dropping off stray dogs GTTD, but that's not at all my experience. As for it being mean to take in a dog only the give them away, have you never heard of foster homes for dogs? It's far less stress for stray dogs than shelter environments.

Lori, you can drop stray dogs off at any shelter that accepts them and you don't have to go through animal control, particularly in the case of an animal that has not recently been cared for. In some areas with large stray populations, in fact, going through animal control ensures the dog will be euthanized, not readied for adoption. Some shelters will only accept dogs from their jurisdiction or can't accept dogs if the shelter is already full, but that's varies by shelter.There are holding periods in most states, but that varies by jurisdiction.

Here are some Human Society suggestions for stray animals: http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/what_to_do_stray_pet.html#.U26OLIm9LCQ

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Agree with Whits.  I have found several strays over the years and was rarely in a position to keep them and/or provide housing for them because of other dogs in the home.  One was readily accepted at a no-kill shelter nearby with very little fuss.  (I donate to the shelter regularly and gave them an extra donation when I dropped off the dog.)  Two others had to go to Animal Control because they were found when the shelter was not open.  Animal Control shelters operate differently depending on who is running them and where they are located.  Our Animal Control people make every effort to locate the owner of a dog and, assuming the dog is in decent health and has a good temperament, they will hold the dog as long as they can for adoption.  They also deal with breed rescue organizations and will arrange to transfer the dog to a foster home whenever possible, rather than euthanize.  

No-kill shelters vary in the way they handle incoming strays, too.  The no-kill shelters around here would never call Animal Control to take a dog who had been "dumped" unless there was no other option (a super-aggressive pit bull, for example). They prefer you make an appointment but I have never heard of anyone being turned away.  

Edited by hheldorfer
  • Like 3

We have two rescue centers near here. Both no kill and both work with foster homes. We are in remote area with no animal control officer anywhere near. Lost/found dogs advertised radio, in local paper, by flyers.

In addition our local vets will help with medical needs of dogs found.

Out here we just all have to pitch in as best we can.

• Like 2

Well.  Jim's brother is somewhat disabled.  He had a dog once that had pups.  He was evicted and the pups were wild.  I caught them, there must of been about 8 of them, and I took them to the shelter with no questions asked.  That was about 10 years ago and I am thinking that was a no kill, but I am not certain. 

My plan is to advertise him with the local vets and I could put an ad in the paper.  If no one claims him . ? . I am not real sure.  I may just keep him. We will have to see how he gets along.  He is a sweet dog.  Tonight I went out and put some heifers in the barn and he helped me herd them in.  He was very proud to get to help. I don't know :confused:- I guess it's day by day.  Everybody accepts him a lot better than they did Pooch.  

Thank you all, once again, for your advice and help.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

He sounds like a good boy, Lori.  I wonder if, in the pic you posted, Dempsy was interviewing him for a herding job.  Hmmm . . .  :)

• Like 1

He does look like an Australian /border collie cross. Demps would be ticked if his farm manager job was taken over my the new kid on the block.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Good luck with that beautiful boy. I hope he finds a loving hope, and perhaps selfishly I hope that loving home is with you so we can keep updated on how he does. Thank you for taking him in and giving him a chance at a good life Lori.

• Like 5

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I have the posters ready for the vets, but Jim laughed at me.  He says, "No one is going to claim that dog.  Why do you think they dropped him off here?"  "Really," I said.  "Do you really think that someone dropped him off?"  "Yes, and you suckered right in."

Well - you know - that might of happened.  I guess I never thought of that, silly me.  I have never seen this dog around.  He doesn't chase vehicles, never goes on the highway and he is not a wonderer.  He has stayed close to the house.  Crap. That makes 4 dogs.  Oh my - people are going to think I am nuts.  I am not taking him to the humane society.  I just can't do that. So, you all will probably be hearing about another dog in my stories.  I am trying to think of a name that fits him, but nothing has come so far.

PS  There is always a chance that someone will claim him.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

What do the other dogs think of him? And I agree with Jim . The only person that is going to claim him is you.:)

Edited by Terrier lover

The other dogs like him much better than they did Pooch.  He fits right in - even Digger doesn't mind him, which is amazing.  This stray is so polite and calm.  No trouble at all.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Some things are meant to be. He can earn his living helping Demps move the cattle. That leaves Elsie able to patrol the wider spaces. He can show his gratitude by being polite and well behaved.

Your other three have and interviewed him. They seem to think he'll fit right in. He has a name - 'Wonder" as in wonder where he came from like you said and wonderful that Demps and Elsie have a helper with the many farm chores.

Until/if someone claims him he's in a safe place with you guys.

Tonight the dog snarled at Jim trying to come in the house. He has attached to me.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh oh that's not good. :(

Maybe bad experiences with guys in the past. No doubt he will mellow when he finds out Jim might hand out treats instead of bad things.

Great to have a protector. Angus would bark and then show any one the way in and where the toys and treats are.

• Like 1

I hope it could work out.....looks like a GREAT herding breed.  Mighty helper on a farm. :)

My very first Cairn would bark and growl at the offender.....standing behind me she would do her best at being tough. :lol:

• Like 1

He helped me sort out some pairs today.  He did quite well.  I tried to comb some of the snarls out of his coat and I thought I heard a low growl.  I listened closer and sure as heck - he gave me the snake eye and a low "knock it off" growl.  So I stopped.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Please be careful Lori. You have no history with this dog . He is a fair sized dog and a possible attack on you and/or Jim and the other two dogs could prove to be very bad. Who knows what this dog has been through. Is he fixed.?

I never looked whether he is fixed.  I will go look now. .... or not.  He didn't like that either.  He gave me that same low growl.  Hmmm.  He just started this growl thing a couple of days ago.  When I first met him I cut hair off of him and rolled him around without a problem.  Dempsy adores him.  They both came around the corner of the house together tonight with big smiles on their faces.  This is a little bit stressful with planting going on.  We are finishing up on corn and then we have quite a few bean acres to do.  Next week Jim's son comes to help and he is bringing a friend.  I wonder how they will get along with this dog.  I guess the more people he is exposed to the more I will know about him.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I saw this morning that he had tape worms.  Ran to town and picked up Pruziquadel.  5 tablets given all at once.  Done.  Vet said where there is tape worms there are fleas.  Frontlined.  Going out to plant beans now. check on him later.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori