CairnTalk

Going to the Beach

mom42terrificgirls

Callie and I are going to the beach for three nights!!! I'm calling it a writing sabbatical because I want to try to finish my book, which is set in Galveston. I'm renting a 900-sq. foot beach bungalow. It has two decks we can sit out on. It even has a hot tub.

During the mornings and early evenings, I want to take Callie to the beach and walks along the seawall. She has never been to a beach before. She is black, brown, and gray. I'm most worried about her getting too hot so I know I need to take tons of water. Not sure if she will be scared of the water but I will always keep her on a retractable leash. I won't take her out into the water past my ankles. I know this is dumb, but I still remember the dog in the movie Jaws and it freaks me out.

Any ideas or tips for me on how to keep her cool? What games you play at the beach, etc.? Do dogs try to drink the salt water? Thanks.

Beth and Callie

Future Beach Bums

I don't have any advice sorry, but I think it sounds like a FANTASTIC time! :D

Dogs seem to love the beach. So many smells! Sand is so great for digging!

Barley (our first) was always  suspicious of the water though since she was surprised by a "sneaker" wave as a pup.  Small, terrible photo, but one of my favorite memories with her at Oregon's Haystack Rock:

coast.gif

Once I had to ride home after a scuba dive in the same car as a beagle that had rolled (and rolled, and rolled) on a dead seagull. I can't say I recommend that as either air freshener or cologne.

• Like 5

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Idaho Cairns

It didn't take much to entertain our two on their first trip to the ocean--a stick and flying spume kept them entertained even if we were freezing and a bit intimidated by the storm angry Pacific along the Oregon coast.  Typically, my Bonnie and Sammi were humming their favorite tune--"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun-un!"

• Like 1

Love how they fight over the stick and then when the tide rolls in they jump ship. Great dogs.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Beautiful photo Brad!

Idaho that video is awesome!

I like the beach but I'll stick to my TN mountains.

• 1 month later...

We are back from the beach. Callie was great the whole trip! I only actually got Callie down to the water once, as the seaweed was as high as the seawall in some places! She loved the beach house with the hardwoods! Her ball would roll and roll. She also claimed one chair and the entire bed as her own. We were invited back by the hostess; she said we were great guests. Callie enjoyed the ferry boat ride and watching the seagulls. Can't wait for my next vacation with my darling Callie. Attached is a photo of Callie relaxing in the sun inside the beach house on the hardwoods.

post-7048-0-73125700-1402341255_thumb.jp