CairnTalk

I am so proud of Uma

Dempsy's Mom

My heart just jumps with joy when I get to see Uma's progress.  My daughter fosters stray dogs that need work in order to be adopted.  This little dog was running the streets on Minneapolis with her mom.  She never had human touch.  Mom was caught and they used her to trap little Uma.  My daughter, Jenny, and my grand daughter, Ella, took little Uma in.  She stayed hid in a box for a couple days after getting her - then she would poke her nose out once in  a while to see what was going on - then she would come out into the living room and run back to her home - by hand feeding her Jenny and Ella gained her trust - but she didn't want to be touched.  In three months time she is now leash trained and as you can see by this picture very proud of herself.  Strutting her stuff.  She still has some fears, but she is working hard to overcome them. :thumbsup:

It will be so hard to let her go.  I hope and pray it will be a good loving patient person.  So proud of Uma, Ella and Jenny.

:hug:

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Great photo and great story!  So apropos your granddaughter is wearing a "Love" shirt. :)

I don't know about mom.  I will ask Jen.  I think that mom was adoptable.  Little Uma still doesn't like to be touched, but what progress.  Good observation Autumn. :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

We love to hear these stories. Little Uma is making such great progress with your caring family. Love and patience works wonders.

This is wonderful news and you have every right to be proud.  It is a huge challenge to connect with a dog who hasn't had human contact.  Thank heavens for your daughter and granddaughter and their persistence!

I did ask Jen how she got Uma to accept a leash.  Jen said that Uma hates being touched, but she loved going outside - so Jen just put a harness on her and she basically did the rest.  Uma loves walks.  On this walk with Ella there was a flag blowing in the wind which bothered Uma, but this was only her second walk - so she's doing great!

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

So glad your daughter and grand daughter are taking in fosters...we need more people like them in the world.  If I did that, I would have a house full of dogs...

Nice too that the snow is finally melting (I do know your "kids" are in the Cities here) so they can get Uma outdoors.  I am sure it will speed her progress to be able to go out and enjoy the spring.

What a lovely story. Thanks so much for sharing. Rescues are so special, and the people who rescue them and help them learn to trust humans are so special too. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I asked Jen about Uma's mom.  Jen said that she was pregnant. :(  Jen looked for her in the system, but thinks that she was adopted and she is sure the puppies went fast.  Sad isn't it.  In a perfect world people would love the dogs they take in for life.  Since that will never happen let's push the neutering, fostering and adopting.  Jenny and Ella thank you all for your kind words and well wishes.

Jen took in a little pug/minpin mix last night.  Kept him just for the night - he was on his way to another foster mom.  Jen said he was a perfect little dog and she did shed a tear when she let him go with the other foster.  Takes a village.   

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori