CairnTalk

bradl

It's not a head-to-toe tutorial, but it does a pretty nice job of demystifying the hand-stripping part a bit and demonstrating that there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. Check out the youtube comments too (never thought I'd say THAT) ... I like this groomer's sensibility. 

Sure, it's a compromise. Different people choose different compromises on grooming to an ideal.  Everyone has to find their own place of comfort along the continuum and it will probably differ by dog, by person, by time, and by place.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I liked this demo. Clear and clearly expressed by someone very experienced.

This is a great way to keep a cairn looking tidy and 'natural' if you are not showing him which most of us aren't. When I watched the cairns at WestminsterI began to think how unnatural they looked. (Will check on Crufts this weekend.) I did not strip Angus at the end of the summer as his coat takes SO long to grow back. As a result he's got a lovely shaggy not too long or tangly coat which stays that way with brush, slicker and comb. So maybe I can keep him looking good using a mix of what I do and what she does so I don't have strip him totally leaving a 'smooth coated' cairn for months after.

Very helpful. Thanks for posting Brad.

I'm sure grooming depends a lot on the type of coat and there are quite few variations.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVED this video!  It got me inspired to work on Pepper's head -she is very sensitive - and her butt!!! ha ha

Pepper's Mom

Thanks so much for sharing this Brad! Really gave me some great ideas on how to keep up with Addie's coat. Although the best idea would be to fly out to AZ and have this lady do it for me!

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I watched this on youtube a few times when Roux's adult coat starting coming in, completely at a loss for what to do. Great video! Gave me the courage to pull on some latex gloves and start plucking. I agree with _whits's_ idea, however. Wish I could find a groomer like this in NV!

Edited by Roux's Mom

• 2 weeks later...

Most helpful video.  I moved and do not have access to a groomer who does hand stripping as I have in the past.  For the last year, I rolled the coat and took my two to a groomer to trim up the head, belly, legs and sani patch.  Last time I brought Gracie home from the groomers, she was very hand shy for about a week.  She would cower when my hand came near her head.  Mind you, Gracie is fearless!  She can be a pill when grooming, but an experienced groomer should never make her scared or hit her (I don't know if that happened). With that being said, I am taking on all her grooming from now on.  Doing some research on the Mars Coat King and the video really helped.

• 7 months later...

Very helpful. I'm learning so much by looking through the grooming forum and have been trying to roll Fury's coat little by little in lieu of taking her to the groomer to be hand stripped. She seems to be lacking in "underwear" or maybe just isn't as blessed with a full body of hair as some of the other cairns I see- is this something that can be encouraged / manipulated through grooming technique? Her legs especially look hairless.

She may just have to join me in being jealous of other ladies with full, thick hair. ;)

4028510218614917s.jpg

By proper grooming and keeping up on it...that is a challenge!  Her hair has a chance to recover as much as her body will let her.  Genetics can be part of her...but good food and grooming help.   Don't stress when grooming....do a little at a time until you both get used to the new routine.  Also, it helps to have another person with you that has TREATS!!!  GREAT distraction!!  Hope everyone is well and happy!  Brad has a GREAT video!!!