CairnTalk

Any suggestions for good dog-walking boots?

hheldorfer

Thanks to the glorious weather this winter my snow boots are about to hit the trash bin.  When I bought them (online) I checked reviews and everyone said they were great for walking . . . not so much, in my opinion.  They're very warm, waterproof and easy to put on and take off (zipper), but the heel is raised slightly and there's not enough cushion on the bottom so they give me blisters when I'm walking in them every day.

Any of you gals out there have a good suggestion for replacement boots?  

My family have been LL Bean fans since the 1930's. I myself have worn LL Bean boots in winter for forty years in Illinois, Indiana and Pennsylvania. They can be expensive but I have only had to buy new ones years apart, so worth it for me as wear everyday.

Recently they have introduced a winter waterproof snow sneaker for walking. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61982?feat=503075-GN3&page=women-s-bean-s-waterproof-snow-sneakers-tie-closure-mid-cut

I have not tried as already have some boots- two or three pairs actually. Different kinds for different needs. I love 'em.

I prefer lace ups as more adjustable.

Uggs. They slip on and off, are warm, comfy, and weather proof if you spray them. Order a size down and you don't even need to wear socks. Perfect for the late night/early morning run outside. I have two pair, one of which sits by the door just for dog walkiing. They are so cozy and comfy you won't want to take them off.

I have really bad, messed up feet. The only boots I've ever found that were truly comfortable for walking have been by Sporto or Skechers. (Both have also held up for several years.) I guess everyone's feet are different and unfortunately, the only way you can find out if they are suitable for you is to wear them for a while, which means you can't take them back! For me, I've found the Skechers to be very cushion-y and never hurt my feet, even the first day.  The Sportos are very waterproof but sometimes make my feet sweat. ;(

All excellent suggestions and I'll spend some time today checking them out (except the investment-grade Danner boots - yikes!).

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to find practical, comfortable, waterproof boots that are high enough to keep the snow out during a Chicago winter and don't look like crap the minute you get some road salt on them.

Thanks, everyone!

I have bad ankles and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Baffin boots. They are super warm, and super light, slip on and off and they last forever too. Had a pair for nearly 10 years and only got new ones because I needed the taller version due to deeper snow.

http://www.baffin.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=DRIFW004

I have their Iceland style.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

• 5 weeks later...

We bought inexpensive wellies from Murdochs ... I think they're meant for mucking out horse stalls. I got the mens' style in my size. They have great treads and with a thick pair of socks are warm enough for walks in the mud or snow without losing traction.

Cheers,

Tami

After breaking my leg, plate and screws while walking Jock and slipping on the ice, I always now go out with these on . They are great and fit pretty much on all boots and shoes.

http://www.yaktrax.ca/#!walk/cvem

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

In addition to my trusty LL Bean boots I have used yaktrax for years and years.They really do grip. I put them on my midweight boots for extra traction when icy. 

Here's the US reference https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk. You buy them on Amazon. Also they have different weights for different purposes  e.g. running or for heavy weight boots. These one pictured are what I use. They last for years.