CairnTalk

Barn Hunt

bradl

Went for a drive today to watch a little Barn Hunt. I've not done it since it became a full-on event but am planning to let all the dogs give it a whirl. It's clearly a blast for the dogs, and fun for the handler to practice reading their dog. Someone described it as the best parts of agility, earthdog, and nosework combined. 

While our pack was not entered (we haven't signed up with the organization yet to get our numbers so we can enter) I was pleased to see a couple Cairns I'd never met before. Charlie, a local Cairn and Joey who was down from Canada. 

I tried to video Joey's turn at what I believe was the Senior level and my darn phone ran out of space just as he was getting tuned up. Still, in the 90 seconds I did get you can see what a blast he's having.

Joey is searching for four large PVC tubes with a rat inside. There are other decoy tubes that have bedding but not rat, or nothing at all inside. There is a time limit. They also have to climb higher than one bale at some point, and go through a tunnel at some point. That's about all I know from casual ringside chatter. I'll read the rules Real Soon Now :P

Like most dog events there are multiple levels, each getting more challenging as the levels increase.

Can't wait to give our guys a run at this.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Looks like a lot of fun. Angus and his jrt pal root around our friend's horse barn which has all kinds of hidey places. Hay bales, straw bales, tack room, horse stalls and so on. He hasn't caught a rat yet - would no doubt kill it if he did.

No doubt.

These rats are very safe. There was a Great Dane I watched who would bring the handler the whole tube.  I never saw such a big dog move so fast. More graceful than I thought it would be, although reports were that sometimes its combination of speed and size would result in bales being moved around some :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

I imagine every dog who gets to go in feels it won a trip to Disneyland.

I haven't really studied the rules, only chatted with a few folks who were there. My understanding is that titles are earned by Qualifying (finding the right number of tubes, in the time allotted, and meeting the other requirements).  Cover all the bases, get a leg toward a title.  :qualify:

For some reason they also give first, second, and third placements. Those are given to the three fastest times from among the qualifiers.

The apparently further divide the results into small, medium, and tall dogs, so that each "group" has a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  Cairns are in the small group from what I saw. So far as I know, the rules and time limits are all the same no matter which group, so I really don't quite follow why they bother. More ribbons to give out? I will eventually go to a seminar and learn the facts :P Or, read the rulebook. It probably has clues.

Here's the official site, for better information than my casual understanding: http://barnhunt.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dempsy and Elsie would love this - what cairn wouldn't?  The Dane would of been fun to watch.  As far as Pepper being disqualified - well, he need to keep track - been here, done that. :) 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori