CairnTalk

Danger for Demps

Dempsy's Mom

There are certain situations that you just do not expose Cairns too and this is one of them.  Today we sold 7 of these big bruisers.  I was out there at 7 am rounding them up and these two had to have one last battle.  They were making me nervous because I was shoveling out the barn door so I could open it.  Once bulls engage like this there is no breaking them up - they just have to wear each other out and hopefully won't push down the fences while doing it.  

Dempsy and Elsie are about as bad as the bulls in that if they were out there they would be right in there trying to break these two up and in the process get stepped on. They would definitely be referees and callin' the shots.

I just thought you all might enjoy.  Selling these 7 bulls today marks the beginning to the end of our cow herd. :confused:  We kept 3 other bulls for the heifers and we will still have heifers that Demps and Els will have to check on this summer.    

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Just sayin'  do you just love the way the others look on???  Wonder if they were making bets!  :lol:

So funny you would post this....my Grandfathers bull he had (at one time) used to get out to go see the other ladies on the other farmers land...ha, ha,ha.  Have seen Angus bull dig himself a deep hole just to get cool....looked like a cave once he got done.  Also, had a Hereford bull, weighing in at a mere 1250, walking down a state highway, probably going to visit his other girlfriends!!!  We met this big boy driving a semi/long haul drivers at the time.

Just love watching farm life....I know it is a hard life....just beautiful to see and know where all we have in our homes is from there!!!!

Betsy (our youngest) wants you to know she is telling off the neighbors cows everyday!!!  They just look at her like......yeah...what???????

• Like 1

Angus says he could take on any bull breed using his name.'No no' I said 'even Demps isn't allowed to mess with those guys'. 'Huh' says Angus giving a little shake of his non bull sized shoulders.!

Those are two tough guys!  No need for Cairns to get involved in that kind of dust-up.  

Sorry about the cow herd.  I know you'd like to keep them.  Who will Dempsy and Elsie supervise now?

Wow never seen that before, but then I'm a city person. I have seen two women do that in the store on Black Friday though.

Good thing Dempsy and Elsie didn't get involved.

• Like 3

Just sayin'  do you just love the way the others look on???  Wonder if they were making bets!  :lol:

That was my first thought, too! :D

I have seen two women do that in the store on Black Friday though.

OMG LOL!

I love the Black Friday comment too. :)  They kept at it for about an hour.  When I went back out they were both covered in frost from their sweat and one had a little limp to his front foot.  I took them in the barn separate so they weren't tempted to start up again and then I brought in the other 5 and we loaded them on one horse trailer.  They still bump around in the trailer but they're pretty snug to do much.  Average wt. at the sale barn was 1942 pounds - got $1.07 per pound.  So they sold good. 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

WOW!!  You put me in my place....the bull on the highway was older than those you show in the video.  So my better guess he could have been 2200-2500.  He could have done quite a bit of damage to the semi.  Heard from another trucker that Elk and Moose are a real problem in the north...one trucker hit 5 Elk...completely destroyed his cab...he had some injuries from impact...happened at night so there really was no way to avoid.  Been in the Tetons when Elk are in season.....very LOUD mating calls!!!!!  One Moose can completely destroy a semi cab also...just sayin.

Nature is to be respected!!  And that includes domestic cows, etc.  So respect the farmer/rancher....they have a VERY hard job, and dangerous!!!  Thank you again for the video!  And Betsy says "Woof" (Thanks for the encouragement!!)  She will STAY on patrol!!!  :thumbsup:

No livestock Lori at all Lori?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

We will still have some heifers to breed.  But no babies this year. :(  Just to much work and no help.  Wake up America - there is no one that wants to work.  We are enlisted to get a South African this year - and that's not cheap - nervous about it.  Times are changing faster and faster.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

:offtopic: I know this is not strictly Demps and the bulls but here in PA it's like for Demps family. Multiple dairy farms have been closing every year in the eighteen years I've lived up here. Small dairy farms were the backbone of the economy but the cost too much for many farmers. 

If it is hard physical work few want to do it. 

The food we eat does not grow on the supermarket shelves!

• Like 2

:offtopic: I know this is not strictly Demps and the bulls but here in PA it's like for Demps family. Multiple dairy farms have been closing every year in the eighteen years I've lived up here. Small dairy farms were the backbone of the economy but the cost too much for many farmers. 

i know squat about farmin but alway buy from the farmer market an independent butchers, locallysourc, etc. I think it is very importante. Food is better for u, often better price and it helps community and everybody. I like knowing wehre the food is cominng from!1!

• Like 1

I know Hillscreek.  Some kids come back to the farm - but that's because it's handed to them - most kids won't - especially not with cows.  But thankfully there are a few from the younger generation that are going to go at it and make it work.  God bless them.  Unfortunately there aren't enough and the big farms and corps are changing the future of farming.  Better or worse?  Time will tell.  I am very thankful that I got to be on a farm and calve out cows, get dirt under my nails, grease on my jeans and have the weather be my boss.  We are a dying breed.  

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I grew up with  many farmers in my family and I totally respect and admire the work that  involved in the process of  farming. AS you say it is sad for that to be vanishing from our  country. Glad that you did well in the sale of the bulls. Keep on keeping on and much luck to you with the new worker

i know squat about farmin but alway buy from the farmer market an independent butchers, locallysourc, etc. I think it is very importante. Food is better for u, often better price and it helps community and everybody. I like knowing wehre the food is cominng from!1!

*Ahem* One should not type when one is very tired. :D  What a mess!  I hope you all knew what I was trying to say. I think supporting local farmers and small businesses is mega-important. Oddly enough, I learned this in 1985 from John Cougar Mellencamp. 

I absolutely love your videos of the farm since I have no experience of one. I must say, those bulls look a little like Ivy and Lucy when they are playing, of course. I am going to South Africa in the spring. Where are you going there???