CairnTalk

Flea bites? (On us, not them)

pammyfay

About 3 days after having Zoey groomed at a grooming business (one I'd taken her predecessor to a few times), I noticed 4 itchy spots on the side of my torso. About the size of a dime (next to them, 3 tiny marks as if they were "testing" spots for the bug). The next night, a couple similar spots on the inside thigh.

Have you had flea bites on you? I know the description I've given isn't much (tho there's no ring around the bite, as you'd get from a deer tick, based on what I see on the web), but do these marks sound like flea bites?

Zoey hasn't been scratching more than usual, but I'm thinking these are flea bites? (Pls don't tell me they're bedbugs -- I'd have to move, I'd be so grossed out!)

I imagine that if she somehow caught them at the groomer, they'd find their way to me quickly, since she sleeps on the bed with me. (I stripped the bed, used hot water on the bed linens, vacuumed...)

The dime-size inflammation bite marks are not so itchy anymore, and they seem to have de-puffed.

Do you think these are from fleas? I haven't used any new body products recently, so I have no reason to believe it's an unrelated allergy to something.

I went through a flea infestation many years ago and had a few bites myself, but I don't recall any of them being dime-sized - they were just tiny bites that itched like the devil.  That said, everyone reacts differently to bites.  I suppose they could be from fleas but I think Zoey would be scratching a lot if you had fleas in the house.  

Take a good look at Zoey and thoroughly comb through her hair, looking for anything that moves.  The easiest place to see them is on the belly (because the hair is sparse in that area) but they seem to love the back of the neck, in the really thick hair.  

This could also just be a complete coincidence.  The fact that you noticed the bites (or whatever they are) on the torso and thighs - areas that are normally covered and not an easy area of opportunity for fleas - makes me suspect something that is in close contact with your skin.  Are you using a new type of laundry detergent or fabric softener?  

No, no new detergent or any cleaning product.

But: Yes, those areas are normally covered, unless one wear's a nightgown to bed instead of PJs -- so that's what made me think fleas could easily have crawled to my skin (much more to feast on!) after realizing that Zoey would hardly be a filling appetizer for them!

Another thought crossed my mind today: I recently had my windows replaced, and it's quite possible the work that involved (crowbars ripping into the old metal reinforcements) could have sent some things -- flying insects or crawling ones -- rushing in to get out of the very cold weather that day.

I'll do a combing on Zoey today -- thanks for suggesting that I do that (we usually just do brushings).

Not sure where you live but we have these horrid little no seeums in the summer. They drive us all crazy. Check out the site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae

Also ...and this is a rather horrid thought. Bed bugs. They can easily hitch a ride on clothing etc.

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie