CairnTalk

Dogs and Spirits

mom42terrificgirls

No, not liquor spirits, spirit spirits.

I know this may be a controversial topic here, so if you're offended, I'm sorry. But sometimes I wonder if my dog is seeing spirits. She will literally look out into space and give a low growl, not a bark. She will even cock her head towards the side as if she is watching something move. Anyone else out there think this?

My Mandy used to go to the door of our walk-in closet and just stare into it for a long time, and sometimes make noises. It used to freak me out!  :shock: 

Angus doesn't do it but a lab I had long ago used to. Very strange but probably just a mouse or something........at least that's what I thought but you never know......... ;) 

I kind of get the feeling that they are sensing something.  It is kind of creepy.  It's more disturbing when young children (6 months-2 years) do it.

Well, even though I am a huge X-files fan to this day, that kind of thing creeps me out. However, being as that they had such a strong bond, there may be something to that..... we sure don't know everything!  If there is any kind of spirit or energy there, at least it's a sweet-smelling one! :)

Well, one reason I ask is that my grandma passed in August. Twice this month there has been a STRONG smell of her perfume in my bathroom, like someone actually sprayed it in there, that strong. She did love Callie and asked for her when she was on hospice.

I think you just answered your own question here. I personally think it is wonderful that you have this angel watching over you and Callie  :)

• Like 1

I don't know if dogs can sense or see spirits but I know they are conduits for spirits.  I have had a few quiet occasions where I have looked up from reading or surfing and have seen one or the other staring hard at me with a departed dog's eyes and attitude.  I recognized it immediately and there was no mistake about what was there. 
I always acknowledge the "ghost" of the passed dog in the living dog, always let them know what I see, how much I appreciate their visit, and how much I miss them.

It is a rare experience and not a little unnerving but it is also really heartwarming because you get that opportunity to communicate with an old, old friend one more time.  I think our old dogs come back to visit us in the form of the new dog--just to check and make sure their old loyalties are still intact and because it is a pleasure for them.

I completely believe the above even tho I am not a particularly spiritual person -- I know what I see.

• Like 2

That is really beautiful, Idaho.

I've not had an experience like that and even though I'm a scaredy-cat, I think I would appreciate a 'visit' like that.

I once dreampt about my Mandy shortly after she died. She was lying on her back and I scooped my hands underneath her to pick her put. I held her to me and felt something fluttering. I looked at her back and she had angel's wings attached to her. When I woke up I felt her presence and it really made me smile and happy. That was the closest I've ever had to feeling any spirits or the like. It was especially odd for me because I'm not really 'into' angels, etc., yet here she was, an angel. :)

There's so much we don't understand about this life, let alone any other, so I think if feeling/sensing these spirits makes you feel nice, it's a good thing. Shame Callie can't talk and tell you what she may or may not be "seeing". :)

• Like 2

Glad this was posted. I had something happen last week and thought if I posted it you would all call me a loon.

So, I was in our living room last week, looking at pictures of Jock on my iPad , Rosie was on the sofa with me. She suddenly perked up her ears , held her head up high, alert and ready, when suddenly one of Jocks toys, the duck, quaked three times twice. I first thought it was my DH in the man cave downstairs, but when I called him he was fast asleep in his recliner . Funny, I felt so much better after that. I am sure in my heart , given how sad I am about Jock not being with us, that he reminded me that all is well in the only way he could tell me, with his favorite toy.

Crazy...maybe, but as a few have said, we don't know it all. It's not creepy, it's not scary it's ok. And actually I think its wonderful, knowing that there is a realm we can't ever comprehend. I just want Jock to be in a place of gentle calmness where there is no suffering. Perhaps also when we are grieving the loss of someone our hearts and heads are open to accepting the unseen. Who knows...

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I had something happen last week and thought if I posted it you would all call me a loon.

That's never stopped me before.  :w00t: 

. Perhaps also when we are grieving the loss of someone our hearts and heads are open to accepting the unseen. Who knows...

That may be very true.   That was an amazing story about the duck. What else could it have been but Jock?  From different stories I've heard over the years regarding passed people and animals, it was only those who had very strong bonds with the deceased who experienced these unexplained occurrences.

• Like 1