CairnTalk

Surprise First Stripping!

_whits_

Addie has started shedding A LOT, which is unusual for her. Usually I find more of my hairs around the house than I do her hairs. I also noticed that parts of her coat were starting to look like they were trying to develop dread locks. No matter how much I brushed (and no matter how many hamsters seem to come out on the brush) Addie was still a shedding little Rastafarian. 

So I - with much trepidation - decided to take advantage of Addie's insistence on being in the bathroom whenever I'm in there and attempted to hand strip Addie. I've tried but never succeeded before because Addie has always seemed to be very distressed when I do it. 

I started by gently pulling out the hair that looked incredibly dead and falling out. It basically fell out in my hands. After about four 20-30 minute sittings (over about 24 hours) Addie is about as stripped as she'll probably ever be. Addie didn't particularly enjoy it, but she didn't act like she was being tortured either. 

The hair from her shoulder height (and across her side) down to her feet still looks like it wants to be dread locks but it is clearly painful for Addie when I pull it, so I'm leaving it and will try to be extra rigorous with the brush in those areas, hoping to get more of it out. 

Overall - and especially since she's never been stripped before - Addie was very, very good and patient to let me do this. I feel like I've got a new dog and don't know where my scraggly monster went. She sure looks a lot more tidy and I feel better knowing those tangled areas are mostly gone. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Before

post-5434-0-50719900-1385786810_thumb.jp

post-5434-0-25113300-1385786818_thumb.jp

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

After

post-5434-0-47276000-1385786842_thumb.jp

post-5434-0-83208700-1385786847_thumb.jp

Good job!  Kirby was also trying to become a Rastafarian and growing dreadlocks, but we took care of that today with the last of the warm weather before the storm.  I took enough hair off to build another dog, how about you?

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

It's amazing when it's ready to come out how easily it comes away - well not so much on belly but most of the rest for sure. Addie's looking good.

I got enough hair to build at least three rats! Filled a gallon ziplock bag stuffed to the brim. But yet when I cuddle Addie she still has super thick hair. I don't know where it all fit on her body. We also took advantage of the last guaranteed good weather day of the year. Addie also felt taken advantage of by the process.

You did a great job! She looks great.

She will get even more hair. Stripping seems to make it thicker, or it did on Kelly. Kelly's is easy to remove except her tail, hip, belly, and butt area. I don't know about Prissy yet as her fur is just coming in good from where Col.Potter shaved her. She was really matted when they got her.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any grooming sites they would recommend for cairns? I am working on keeping a natural coat (conan is 10 months) and I have purchased several stripping knives (fine, medium, coarse), a pummis stone intended for grooming, and a mars stainless steel 10-coat pet stripper. My fear is that his hair is a bit soft in areas and not that wiry texture. Did I accidently cut the hair (I have never used scissors or a trimmer on him)?!? Please help! Im amazed that your Addie's just came out..it is always a process with Conans hair (the mars blade makes it easier, but is it cutting the hair??). Please help me learn the proper way to groom a cairn!