CairnTalk

Coconut oil?

Nancyj

Probably the best way to clear up problems with your Pepper would be to get her off all chemicals, supplements, vitamins, except those recommended by your vet, give her good food, exercise, and clean water. 

Nothing like clean water to detox the system- canine or human. 

Well it does look like someone did do a study of turmeric use in dogs, although apparently for cancer & osteopathic uses though.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthescipub.com%2Fpdf%2F10.3844%2Fajavsp.2010.97.101&ei=NHWFUtCvJMaI3AXi44HQBw&usg=AFQjCNFI8o5Veo_9FcRxMdBtlw_Vr67UaA&sig2=mfpM-VSJUr5oXyIuICjiBg   

Or you can paste this into your browser:  hescipub.com/pdf/10.3844/ajavsp.2010.97.101

Are you sure the substance in the Netherlands study you cite was Turmeric? Per study:"The MacroGard® preparation of beta-1,3/1,6-glucans is a highly purified product derived from
baker’s yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae)."  I couldn't tell if the substance tested was even in the same class as Turmeric. 

However the findings were rather inconclusive.

"In the placebo group there only was a significant change in
the signs of stiffness. When the changes over time of
the two groups were compared, there were no
statistically significant differences." (From the referenced clinical study.)

I have a hard time accepting many of these "herbal" or "Ancient Chinese" type treatments for companion animals--the science simply isn't there to support them and I would hesitate to administer them to my dogs, especially when so many of the unsupported claims come from vendors selling the product.  However, if they don't cause demonstrated damage I guess they would be ok, if it made the owners feel like they were "doing something" to relieve the dogs ailments.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 1

It does appear that the link in that database is screwy--goes to a later study done by the same group. [Actually I rarely find this happens with all the research databases I dig into.]  I hadn't yet read the article through to discover it wasn't the proper one. 

So I went to another databse, here's the abstract of the correct article: http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/152/15/457.abstract  which does note the test item is turmeric/curcumin.

I am all for alternative medicine under the guidance of a holistic vet. Jocks lived years beyond his life expectancy given he was diagnosed with chronic active hep at the age of 6. He lived another 6.5 years under the wonderful care by holistic vets administrating herbal remedies, acupuncture etc. traditional vets would have put him on steroids and that would have packed his liver in in very short order. Being open minded to new (and actually they are centuries old) alternative treatments combined with western vet medicine has a lot to offer. I myself take curcurim , a refined turmeric, and it has done wonders for aching hands and hips from riding. When western medicine fails to help or cure, what do you have to lose. I have seen really amazing results from alternative treatments given to animals and people, with a big caveat, that it is under the care of a trained professional .

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Pepper is going to the the lump removed while it is still small.  I just am not happy about the lipoma diagnosis - she is way to young!  She is schedule for surgery on Wednesday....  She is back on her homemade muffins for food (was on Taste of the Wild).  It just feels too hard for a lipoma.

Pepper's Mom

Good luck and please let us know how she is doing.

My husband and I are SURE it is an undescended testicle - Pepper is such a tomboy!!! Lifts her leg, marks her territory, humps the cat and is top dog at the dog park.... ha ha!!!  I will let everyone know what they find out!

Pepper's Mom

Yes Pepper is a female and was spayed at 6 months - just a real tomboy!!!  She is at the vet right now - surgery is scheduled for one hour from now....

Pepper's Mom

• 2 weeks later...