CairnTalk

I just need to vent...

mom42terrificgirls

I know you take a chance when you go to a dog park; I know that. But Callie is an apartment dog and has no other dogs to play with or places to run. Dog camp is good but she can't really run like she needs to. At the dog park she will literally do zoomies for a straight 45 minutes to an hour without few breaks.

Last night at the dog park, a lady brought in a pit bull which was borderline 20-25 lbs. Weight limit on our side of the park (small dogs) is 20 lbs. As soon as she took his leash off, he pounced on my Callie and pinned her down. She started yelping because she couldn't get up. I went over to get the pit off of Callie, and the lady came up, actually laughing!!! Yes, laughing!!! She said, "I have to really be careful. He is really strong. Ha ha, " and got him off of Callie.

I said, "Well, he needs to be in the other park, the one for bigger dogs. And do you know what she said? She said, "Yeah, I know. He plays with the big dogs but he needs to get used to playing with small dogs, too."

She started walking towards the exit, so I assumed she was leaving. I put Callie's leash on and we started walking that way. Callie seemed shaken so I wanted to go ahead and leave. The lady actually wasn't leaving. While we were walking towards the exit, her pit jumped a white toy poodle, and it was yelping loudly, couldn't get up off its back. You should have seen all the leashes going on the remaining small dogs as I was walking out the gate. When I got to the car I saw at least five small dogs being led out the exit by their owners.

Why do people have to be so inconsiderate and ruin it for everyone else? Okay, rant over.

To lighten the mood, I have attached a photo of Callie watching Downton Abbey.

• Like 1

Definitely report it. 

Most dog parks don't have staff on hand and it is left to the dog owners to self-police, so you need to confront the owner of an aggressive dog when something like this happens.  It doesn't need to be nasty; simply remind the owner that she is in the wrong area of the park and larger dogs should not be in the small dog area.  Considering the behavior of her dog I would bet that someone else in the small dog area would have supported you.

That being said, who runs the dog park?  If it is the local park district or other government authority, contact the office and explain what happened.  Do owners using the park have to pay a fee and wear tags to identify them?  In our dog park (run by the forest preserve district), the dog park authorities take this sort of thing very seriously.  We have successfully had some owners banned from the park due to behavior like this.  (Sad that the dog needs to suffer because of the owner's stupidity, but we had no choice.)

This woman is not doing her dog any favors by allowing him to pounce on and pin small dogs.  She is only encouraging his aggressive behavior.  Her dog needs to spend time in the large dog area where he will be taught some canine manners.

This lady sounds crazy. Her dog, whether it be a pitbull or whatever, is aggressive and shouldn't be allowed at any dog park. I cannot believe she finds this amusing. It is horrible. You need to report her because the next time, this dog could kill another animal.

By the way, Ivy loves Downtown Abbey (almost as much as her mom).  We can't wait until January so we can introduce the show to Lucy!!

Ivy & Lucy's Mom, must be the British accents.

The park is run by the county. The sign says to call the constable (I went by there this morning). I was much too angry to even THINK last night. I have no idea who this woman is to report her now, but if I ever see her again in the small park, I will call before she has a chance to leave, that's for darn sure! I could definitely identify her if she was with the same dog. I'm hoping someone else reported her since it was obvious other people were concerned and upset.

• Like 1

Ugh, how awful. I do hope you see her again so you can report her. What she is doing is extremely inconsiderate and definitely dangerous. Her dog might need to "get used to playing with small dogs" but you and the other small dog owners didn't agree for your dogs to be his "guinea pigs" in socialization and manners!

It is obvious that Callie, a Downton Abbey fan, is a canine of good breeding and class. :)  She doesn't need any riff-raff trying to pin her down at the park!

• Like 2

Callie has good taste watching Downton Abbey but may be shocked when you get the new series!! Pit bulls are illegal in UK, but I am always wary if Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Fortunately the owners of the nes we see on walks round me are sensible and keep their dogs away and quite iftenncross road s they do not meet us.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Oh Callie gets the Downton Abbey before Lucy and Ivy do in the U.S.  They (well me) are CHOMPING at the bit for the new season.

I am also wary of any type of pit bull, etc... but I must say I have a friend with a rescue pit and she is an amazing dog-so lovable, but I can tell when I pet her, the strength she has in her body. Why would anyone subject themselves to legal trouble by putting their dog out where they can harm another dog or a person for that matter? It is baffling...

Pit bulls are illegal in UK, but I am always wary if Staffordshire Bull Terriers. 

We have a Staffy living next door to us. The only thing that separates that dog from Lola is a wooden fence (albeit, a very strong wooden fence, attached to a brick wall, and underpinned with chicken wire and large stones on our side.)

The dog used to be very sweet, but since the couple had their twins he has changed. He is much more aggressive, barky and upset. They put him out more when they put the twins down for their naps, etc., and judging from his barking when they leave the house, he suffers from separation anxiety.  Luckily for us, they are very much on a schedule, so we know when the dog will be in the yard and we don't let Lola out at those times. I think Lola has grown fearful of him as well, as once when he came out unexpectedly, she came in immediately. 

This is a great place to vent. What a scary experience to go through!!  Hopefully, someone complained.  I become totally "discombobbled" when people allow their dogs to run loose at the regular park. That have the same attitude as the woman with the pit bull. Thankfully,  they are far and few between, but I am always watching out for them.  I've never taken Brinna to a dog park, as she prefers not to be around other dogs. Go figure, as she is a retired show dog. :confused1:

I've never taken Brinna to a dog park, as she prefers not to be around other dogs. Go figure, as she is a retired show dog. :confused1:

She's probably sick of 'em.  Ah, peace and solitude! :D

• Like 1

Autumn and Lola,

I've never taken Brinna to a dog park, as she prefers not to be around other dogs. Go figure, as she is a retired show dog. :confused1:

She's probably sick of 'em.  Ah, peace and solitude! :D

Ha..I never thought of that!  You have a good point, as Brinna was one of six plus her two uprights and all of the shows she was in.  She seems totally happy being the "only child" in our home. We feel blessed that her beloved first mom and dad trusted her with DH and me.

Geez, I get after my girls when they are outside and someone walks by because they start barking LOUDLY. I don't even like when they do that, alone run up and pin a dog down. Good thing Ivy and Lucy cannot read this. They might think I am too strict compared to the people that let their dogs run around and terrorize other dogs.

By the was mom42terrificgirls, oh you are playing catch up on Downton-great show!!!

• Like 1

We used to take Mac to the dog park. He made several friends there. He'd play so well with a schipperke key and a westie and another cairn but he used to get so sick. We think it was from some owners not cleaning up, from them all drinking from the same bowls, etc...we've since fenced in the yard and we're adopting his sister on Sunday.

We're making our own dog park :)

Side note: a 75lb Rotwiler jumped a 4 foot fence from a stand still, landed next to me, and wanted Mac to play. That was last fall. Very scary ! Hi ownerer told me to grab him! Very, very scary ! Last fall

Snow flurries last night in Wilmington, NC. Earliest snow ever on the Carolina coast. McLaren will play in his own fenced yard for quite some time - at least until he's had all of his shots. He is 10 weeks today. We don't have bowls of water at our community dog parks and, after reading this, I am glad. I will take along his own bowl and a bottle of water for him to have when he is done playing.

Hills, thanks for asking....

We've been talking about it for months, but were going to wait until after the first of the year to look in earnest. We have always stayed in contact with several breeders we met during our journey to find Mac and as it turns out, one of his litter mates just became available. Mac was one of six, 4 male, 2 female. Our breeder shows and was definitely keeping 3 that she felt had potential. Mac was a fluffy puppy when we first saw him. The breeder said he was born without a hard coat but it may eventually come in however she doubted it. This was why she defiantly wasn't keeping him and our lives are so much better because of that !

Maddie is his sister that we can hopefully come home with on Sunday. We're really hoping that they get along when they reconnect. Maddie is about 15 lbs and doesn't like showing or being groomed as per our breeder however she is a "sweet girl" as per our contacts. We hope she and Mac get along and can romp in our new large fenced in yard for years to come. Below is a picture of her smiling after her swim this past summer in Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks :)

It was provided by our breeder.

post-5776-0-55654300-1384355335_thumb.jp

Edited by Macdaddy
  • Like 1

She's a doll. Looking forward to hearing about her reunion with her brother. No doubt a big yard to run around in will help them learn to play together.