CairnTalk

Puppy Pads for Housetraining?

Rate this topic

McLarensmom

May I please have some opinions on the use of puppy pads for house training a ten week old male Cairn vs. very frequent trips outside? Some say that the use of puppy pads in a small, restricted area are less stressful for training - but others say that frequent trips outside are best because you never want to let your puppy think indoors is ever okay. Sure would love to hear your experiences...

Never used the pads. Just took a zillion trips outside till Angus learned. Didn't want him to think it was ever OK to go inside.

Ditto here... Why teach them to go inside. Take them out a zillion times, like hillstead said,praise them a lot when they do their business outside.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I have used puppy pads, semi-successfully as puppies have a hard time getting centered on them.  Best practice is frequent trips outside so they can "consecrate" an area with the right odors.  Make sure that every time you take them out you use the command "Go potty!" and when they do make a really big deal out of it.  Won't take long for them to get the idea.  Learn the "signals" they give when they have to go, get them out, and it won't be long before they are trained.

Edited by Idaho Cairns

I used to take Angus to the same spot each time so he would recognize the smell. And like others say praise each time he goes - while he is actually peeing or pooping.

Heather will potty outside. She asks to go out when she needs to. But in bad weather, or the middle of the night she still uses her pads. They are also a great help when traveling and she has no idea where she is supposed to potty at first.

Thanks. I am still nervous about McLaren going out after dark. Even though my backyard is fenced, a low fence is no match for a coyote or red fox. Both abound here, because I live on an old plantation bordered by marshes where the coyotes hang out.

Lots of wild life here too. Coyote, fox, bobcat, bear. Maybe take McLaren out on a leash. In our area we generally don't have fences so I walk Angus out to do his potty business- yep whatever the weather! At least nowadays it's not so often.When he was a pup in winter it was a pain going a zilion times a day. But it paid off!

I tried to potty train a Maltese with puppy pads and failed miserably. Once she got it in her head potty inside was okay, she never could unlearn it.

My Cairn Addie spent the first two years of her life in an area with a lot of predators like coyotes. All of her potty breaks were on leashes, but I didn't have a fenced in yard. With a yard, I'd suggest potty breaks from dusk onward should be leashed. I lost a dog to a coyote and will never get over it.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

• 3 weeks later...

My Cookie used the pads for his two or three first months that he was thought at the breeder's. That was very easy because at the time I lived in the apartment. And at some point he decided himself that he preferers to wait to go outside. And he stopped doing on the pads one day and never did after. Since 4,5 months now I have at home a big bag of 40 unused pads still because he does not use them any more :)and since we never had an accident. Now he can easily show me that he must go out by sitting near the window door and watching me very carefully. We read our minds like this :).

And what is the most funny now I can see that he even cuts down toilet in the garden and tries to keep to do outside the garden...

Edited by CarPer

I hate pads, but we use them because I don't feel safe going out at night. I was going out by myself at 10:00 p.m., midnight, 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. One night I saw a man walking towards me on the sidewalk around midnight. That was the last time we went out at that time.

Callie urinates many, many times each day and evening. She has no urinary tract issues. I think she just likes to mark. She will go outside and then go on a pad 15 minutes later. I hate them, but we gave up. I pick them up immediately. The best ones I've found are at the 99 cent store; I don't like the ones at Walmart. I'd rather her go on a pad than on the carpet AND I really don't want to get mugged or worse. LOL

• 1 month later...

Glad to see this topic as my aunt needs opinion on this. They recently moved to a condominium (7th floor) temporarily along with their 4 months old dachshund, Nola. Their house in on renovation for about 2 months. For those who use puppy pad, what do you got? Nola is very sweet girl but she's teething now too so she might chew things but my aunt will always be there to supervise her (she actually spoil her <3 ). So sar these are what we saw http://www.petstreetmall.com/Piddle-Place/10757/5356/details.html and http://www.ebay.com/gds/Housebreak-your-dog-using-puppy-pads-in-10-easy-steps-/10000000009834766/g.html but would like to ask for you recommendations.

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace!

Dodge - 1.8 years old rescued cairn

Missy - our beloved jrt, we miss you!

• 1 month later...

Glad to see this topic as my aunt needs opinion on this. They recently moved to a condominium (7th floor) temporarily along with their 4 months old dachshund, Nola. Their house in on renovation for about 2 months. For those who use puppy pad, what do you got? Nola is very sweet girl but she's teething now too so she might chew things but my aunt will always be there to supervise her (she actually spoil her <3 ). So sar these are what we saw http://www.petstreetmall.com/Piddle-Place/10757/5356/details.html and http://www.ebay.com/gds/Housebreak-your-dog-using-puppy-pads-in-10-easy-steps-/10000000009834766/g.html but would like to ask for you recommendations.

I used the second you showed and they were fine for two three peepees, number two was always cleaned right away. And after tree peepees he always refused to do any more... :)