CairnTalk

What shampoo do you use that is gentle on sensitive Cairn skin?

nclar0523

I washed Rory after he threw up in his crate (a one time occurence) and used a small amount of Hartz puppy shampoo to give him a quick clean up. He was fine at first but the second day I noticed some redness, and now the fourth day the skin under his left arm is red, raw and has what looks like dried blood. It's in one small area and if it gets worse I'll have to bring him to the vet, but what do you guys use to wash your Cairn that doesn't cause a reaction? Rory seems to react to almost anything- food, environment, now shampoo--Thanks from both of us!

post-7065-0-98058100-1382243073_thumb.jp

I use Isle of Dogs shampoo. Specially made for the terrier's harsh coat. It has never bothered Angus's skin and leaves his coat harsh and shiny.

Isle of dogs is a little out of my price range, but I tried oster oatmeal puppy shampoo yesterday and that did the trick; I don't know what they put in that Hartz puppy shampoo that would make his skin react so badly!

I used Virbac Allergroom. Specifically because it is "Gentle, hypoallergenic, emollient, soap-free, and antiseborrheic."

Information here: http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/allergroom-shampoo/dermatology/keratoseborrheic-disorders

I also have Virbac Epi-Soothe on hand for if Addie ever has a skin allergic reaction or a raw spot. Information here: http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/epi-soothe-cream-rinse-conditioner/dermatology/allergic-dermatitis

I would give Rory another bath with a calming shampoo to get any of that Hartz puppy shampoo residue off. I might also suggest (I'm not a vet) giving him 1/2 of a Benadryl tablet to help fight what seems to be an allergic reaction he's having. 

It might also be worth taking him to the vet, if he skin is red, raw and bloody. I'd want to get that reaction under control and I'm not sure another bath would fix that. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to try one of those shampoo suggestions next time... I made another post because two days after the oatmeal shampoo, the scab was decreased 70% but a new musty smell started! It seems like there are never ending problems with this guys skin. I ordered anti fungal shampoo and just for the heck of it put apple cider vinegar in his water, and diluted it and rubbed it on his skin, and the smell is almost totally gone in a few hours- really wierd! I'm going to blow dry him after baths from now on to get him super dry....I've never experienced so many problems with a dog- Cairns are so high maitenance! Just my opinion- The little devil is worth it I suppose ;)

I thought of benadryl once or twice but it freaks me out to give it to him, he's so little! I guess I'm lucky he didn't need the vet visit this time, his skin REALLY didn't like that Hartz stuff! Never again!

If I may ask...How often are you bathing Rory?  Too much bathing can irritate the skin of any dog.  Dogs do need to have a bit of oil in their coat to protect their skin and many shampoos are too harsh and strip it away.  If you are brushing him regularly he really should not have to be bathed all that often.  By all means if he rolls in something stinky or gets very dirty bath him them.  You can user the diluted cider vinegar water or diluted listerine  to "freshen" him up between baths on occasion....sometimes a rinse with just plain water is all that is needed.

My two usually only get a real bath once every 3-4 months & when I use a shampoo I also use Isle of Dog #33.  Yes it is expensive..but I dilute it down (it really isn't sudsy anyways) and the bottle I have now I purchased a few years back.  

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

I bring him to the groomers for a bath and cut about once a month and brush him every 2 days with a flea comb, the other brushes didn't seem to work as good for me. Maybe I should bring him to the groomers less? This last week I had to wash him twice, plus once the week before because he had thrown up in his crate- maybe that's where the smell came from since I just towel dried him all those times.

I think the source of alot of current problems has been the rawhide chips, bones, and sticks he was eating as well. It seems like since I've taken those away and used apple cider vinegar things are getting better daily, no throwing up, eating alot more, less and less musty smell. He does have no hair at all on his armpits that goes into the rib area symmetrically since he was 10-12 weeks or so, and no hair on his groin and into his belly, and around his eyes there is sporadic hair loss too. I brought him to the vet 3 times all together to check for mites, allergies, etc. and made food changes. Overall it is not dramatic hair loss and besides the recent Hartz reaction the skin is soft and smooth, so it's wierd.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

My first Cairn had skin issues, and I used a soap the vet prescribed.  I'm not sure I still have the bottle -- pharma something or other.  I had to get the shampoo from him, but it worked well for the Cairn, who came to me with yeast issues and irritated skin. The shampoo went to the groomer's with him, as well.

We have always bathed the Weimaraner, and this Toto, with an oatmeal shampoo, usually Burt's Bees.  I buy it when I see it, on sale.  Unless the boys have somehow gotten into something, we brush, and comb, them, which they seem to enjoy.

We have a neighbor who bathes his Lab with Head and Shoulders, and the dog's coat looks and feels great.  I thought shampoos designed for us were the wrong pH for pups, though.