CairnTalk

Funny Phobias and Why They Exist

mom42terrificgirls

I'm starting this thread because Callie has an unusual fear of the mailboxes in the lobby of my complex. I have to literally drag her across the room with her butt on the floor and her four legs spread out just to check my mail. I think it's so weird. Wish I could take a picture. I find myself saying outloud as I pull her (with people staring), "It's okay, Callie. They're just mailboxes."

Why? I have no idea, but I'm guessing because people sometimes slam their mailboxes shut when done.

So... what is a funny/strange phobia your dog has and why do you think they have it?

Angus does not like going under bridges when riding in the Jeep. On short journeys he rides in the passenger seat with his harness clipped into the seat belt. He can stand, sit, turn, lay down, look out the window - whatever. He loves it but when we come to a bridge over the road he turns round with his back to the bridge and lowers his head. Once though he's back to normal. Have not been able to convince him it's not dangerous.

• Like 1

It might be the clanging noise. Lola was afraid of our kitchen trash bin because it was metal and would make a clanging noise. She eventually got used to it/grew out of it. I would lightly "clang" it nearly every time I walked by, to get her used to the noise and make her not afraid, since she had to walk past it every time she went out to potty. We now have a new (not metal) one, only because the last one needed replacing. She checked it out when it it was delivered today and I "clanged" it - but no clang. Just plastic. She got bored and walked off. :)

• Like 1

Sammi doesn't like anything moving above her head in enclosed places--so maybe just the movement of those mailbox doors has Callie spooked.  Not sure why these dogs develop the phobias they do but they are real and difficult to deal with, let alone break.

• Like 1

Teddy bear don't like thunder he becomes a huge whining baby and haves to sleep near my chest to calm him down and he use to hate the vaccum he use to go after it when its on now he just watches ms

• Like 1

Kelly doesn't like anything that moves over her head either. She also is afraid of the trash truck, trash cans (including the ones inside) and card board boxes. She doesn't like anything in the home to change. If the kids leave something in the living room she will bark at it when she finally gets use to it being there if they move it back to their rooms she barks because it's missing. lol

Funny thing is when we were hanging sheetrock in the kids rooms, I was dreading it because of moving all their furniture throughout the rest of our home. I thought it would be a constant bark fest. It didn't bother her at all that everything was all pilled up. Let us move something on the counter 1 or 2 inches and she freaks out. It's so funny.

• Like 1