CairnTalk

Started stripping - need advice for next steps

WayneD

Thanks again to everyone on this forum for the wealth of information. It's invaluable when there's not a lot of in person - one on one  help where I am.

In my previous post I asked about starting to strip Hamish and now after four 15 minute sessions we have made a start - thank goodness it grows back!

I'm now after some advice on where to go/what to do next. His hard coat was/is pretty much the same length all over and coming out quite easily. Along his back and just starting his sides it was coming out by the handful - you can see we're down to undercoat and a few whispy hairs above the lines in the attached photos.

Here are my questions:

1. The hair on the sides under the lines is quite long but doesn't come out as easy so what to do? If he is down to his "underwear" on his back, does it now need to be the same all over?

2. I haven't really touched his chest, tail or rear yet but the hair is fairly loose especially on the rear end and tail. I like his ruff and would prefer to leave it and some/most of his chest hair but I'm open to advice.

3. I have managed to get his ears showing again but for the most part the hair on his head is very fine and I don't want to make him bald - suggestions?

4. Suggestions on how to deal with his tummy and private bits.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

post-6196-0-52123600-1377753487_thumb.jppost-6196-0-79175400-1377753489_thumb.jppost-6196-0-83427600-1377753491_thumb.jppost-6196-0-97924000-1377753493_thumb.jppost-6196-0-15410600-1377753496_thumb.jp

Edited by WayneD

He looks great.  I've been a beginning "stripper" since we got Barney and have hand stripped, used the Mars comb, stripping knife and metal comb on different area.  I "pluck" him often during the week if he is sitting still - I look for the stray hairs and just take those off a few at a time all week so I think I'm rolling his coat.  I got a bit aggressive with his tail the last time and some of the "carrot" look is gone, but it does grow back.  I just trim the the private areas with blunt nails scissors.  Hamish's coat looks a lot like Barney's.  The sides are a bit softer and more difficult to "pluck".  Good luck!

Well after about 2 hours is small short sessions we have made quite good progress. I have moved down the sides to where the hair came out easily, it's now quite a bit thinner (and doesnt come out anywhere near as easily), but what remains now is mostly a skirt which I have been advised I could use thinning scissors for a general tidy up. I have also done a light tidy up on his head which now has some shape - I didn't want to pull too much as its very thin and whispy. I've also done his tail which now has more shape than feathers.

I don't really want to take it right down to the underwear all over as I really like his ruff and chest hair so the main work left is really his legs - the pants, his belly and rear end. Here's a couple of photos as he is now.

post-6196-0-94740500-1378187142_thumb.jppost-6196-0-32735900-1378187154_thumb.jppost-6196-0-89514300-1378187168_thumb.jp

Thanks Lynn

I haven't done much yet on the parts yet. I was waiting on the grooming table I ordered to arrive and now it has, it should make it a lot easier to keep him still although he is really pretty good as I have been able to do his tail and a little around his rear. He does seem quite sensitive low down on the sides and on his tummy so I think I will go with thinning scissors if necessary in those areas. I hope to have him finished off bit by bit over the next week.

Hi I am new to your forum which I am enjoying very much, and I would like to find a groomer to strip my 5 yr old Cairn Terrier (Mochi) whose coat is all blown out (since I am quite certain that it has never been hand stripped).

I don't dare to do it myself - as he is a rescue and I don't want to be the one giving him yet another 'treatment' where I could breach his trust in me.

I am also new to Naples Fl. and don't want to continue going to groomers who just resort to scissors - I would love to find someone who does it the correct way. Any ideas (and no, I'd rather not take on another project - I am stretched so thin...)

Thanks so much,

Dianne and Mochi