CairnTalk

Crazy question: Do cairns have hair under their armpits?

nclar0523

Rory is 5 months now and he has no hair under his armpits or in his lower belly/groin area but loads everywhere else--so much so he can barely see! I don't know if I should be concerned about this...it isn't a new thing...are all cairn's like that?

I'm bringing him to the vet Friday to have him checked out, but it seems like alot of vets are clueless to be honest. His skin is very soft and healthy looking all over, although it looks more pinkish some days and he will sneeze and rub his nose on the floor. Not itching at all but seems like allergies to me? I am going to switch his purina puppy chow food since he acts hungry all the time lately and will only eat the food when he has to. Might do wilderness brand.Thanks for any responses!

Dempsy has hair on his arm pits and groin area, but it is much thinner.  Elsie is the same - so I don't think it is anything to worry about.  Hope Rory has a good check up!!  I am thinking flying colors - let us know.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Buffy didn't have a ton of belly/armpit hair when she was younger but now she's covered head to toe.  I wouldn't worry about it too much unless Rory's skin is red or itchy.

Yes, but there's less of it on our dogs.  Poor Kirby, he actually gets knots in his armpit hair sometimes and hates when I hit one during a combing.  Now I know to check his armpits before combing there!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Ok, thanks! His checkup was fine, I was worrying about nothing as usual! The vet agreed it was probably a food allergy if anything. Now for his first trip to the groomers! I knew Cairns had more grooming and skin needs compared to other breeds but I didn't know allergies, hair knots, etc. were so common...oh well he's lucky he's super cute so he makes up for it :) Here is Mr Rory looking forlorn after chewing up his potty pad, once again perched on top of his crate (notice bits of white fluff still stuck in his hair!):

post-7065-0-36147000-1377974340_thumb.jp

post-7065-0-93483400-1377974351_thumb.jp

Edited by nclar0523

• 2 months later...

Lol I had to lift teddy bears to check even though I brush him everyday he growled at me because he is sleeping like mom stop it then went back to snoring but yes he has hair hes just one big puff ball of hair

• 1 month later...