CairnTalk

Change is Coming - Cairn Talk Future

bradl

The Cairn Terrier Club of America has decided at this time to wind down its sponsorship of this public forum. However the forum will continue under new ownership, and in a new location. The board of governors has graciously allowed me to take ownership of the forum in order to facilitate continuity of this long-running community.  Some things will change; many things will stay the same.

Changing

In order to reestablish the forum as a separate entity, with its history and content intact, I have committed to make a number of changes over the next two months:

• The moved forum will be scrubbed of references to sponsorship by the CTCA in the structural elements (headers, footers, graphics, rules and guidelines, and so on).
  • A disclaimer will be added to make clear that the forum is not in any way sponsored by the Cairn Terrier Club of America.
  • Forums and subforums specific to the CTCA (for example, "Publications") will be removed.
  • Registration types specific to the CTCA will convert to standard forum member-types. (Examples: Member type Ways and Means and CTCA Member will be converted to standard forum member type Registered.
  • The forum will be moved to a new and distinct domain: www.cairntalk.net.
  • The forum will have a different visual appearance to distinguish it from the CTCA site.
Staying the Same
Some things will remain the same:
  • Every effort will be made to ensure member accounts and posting history are preserved. My goal is not to start over, but to simply move.
  • Rules and guidelines may evolve, but I don't plan to make any substantive changes, especially at first.  Spamming, advertising, breeder recommendations, and any discussion of placement of specific animals will remain off-limits. 

Next Steps

The timeline for the change is currently being worked on. I expect the transition to take place no later than October 7, but it may take place much earlier --  as early as the end of August or early September. I will keep you posted. In general terms, here is what is likely to happen:

• The forum will remain open until it's time to move. I'll post an announcement when that times come. Until then, please continue to enjoy the forum right here!
  • Take a moment to make note of your forum login and password. Later, when the forum moves, you may have to log in again. Remember that if you stay logged in all the time and use a different screen name than your login, your login may be different than you think it is! Visit your profile settings to review. If you've forgotten your password, you can always reset it. 
  • Once the new location is ready to receive us I will briefly turn off this forum. That will allow time for the data from this forum to be transferred to the new location. The Offline message will include a link to the new location, with an expected time when the new forum will reopen for business (with updates, if necessary).

I appreciate your participation on Cairn Talk and I hope you will find it worthwhile to make the adjustments necessary to join us on the next phase of the Cairn Talk adventure. Change is hard, but like our Cairns I like to think we're up for any challenge and ready to make every new experience a rollicking adventure.  I hope you'll join us!

Best regards,

Brad L.

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

That's right Brad. Cairns are flexible and so are we. Thank you for helping make it possible for us to keep this wonderful forum going!

What about funding? 

• Like 1

Wow, I find it extremely funny In my latest video I said "Hi guys, from cairntalk" and I didn't even see this topic, lol O_O Shows my Love!

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

Brad, good Sir, thank you for continuing the forum. The CTCA and the forum are a gem on the internet regarding information about the Cairn Terrier. The helpful members of this forum are extraordinary. The Cairn has a unique personality. This forum is so valuable to understand that personality and Cairn behavior. No doubt in the future people will find the forum a useful resource to understand these different little dogs. You will be providing a wonderful service to these people and the Cairns they have.

Edited by Malcolm's Dad
  • Like 1

As admin for the UK forum, I would just like to say 'good luck' with the transition.  I know that you will be putting a lot of work into this and you deserve a huge 'thank you'.  Our forum is also independent of the breed clubs so it sounds as if we will be on the same footing.  I look forward to seeing the changes and will try to pop in more frequently in the future.

goodluck.gif 

• Like 1

Brad, good Sir, thank you for continuing the forum. The CTCA and the forum are a gem on the internet regarding information about the Cairn Terrier. The helpful members of this forum are extraordinary. The Cairn has a unique personality. This forum is so valuable to understand that personality and Cairn behavior. No doubt in the future people will find the forum a useful resource to understand these different little dogs. You will be providing a wonderful service to these people and the Cairns they have.

Ditto from Ruffy & Sanford! Also want to add that the graphics you show for the new sight, whether they are a temporary mock-up or the real thing, are a great improvement! :thumbsup: Way to go, Brad!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Brad you are Awesome for doing this. I can't imagine how much of your time this is taking. Hugs from Kelly, Prissy, and most of all from me.

Pssst, Don't tell anyone, but it's mostly fun. 

If all goes according to plan, you'll have a few options to choose from in terms of the background image. You can click the little paintbrush icon to bring up the chooser, which currently allows choice among seven images.

post-3-0-44347800-1376359151_thumb.png [click image to embiggen]

In addition to the default image shown in the teaser, here are the others I plan to have available at launch (subject to change of course). 

post-3-0-29482100-1376359180_thumb.png

post-3-0-59993100-1376359194_thumb.png

post-3-0-36991100-1376359212_thumb.png

post-3-0-51249100-1376359253_thumb.png

post-3-0-96924900-1376359282_thumb.png

post-3-0-07681300-1376359302_thumb.png

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

Ditto here..you are awesome! I would miss this sight terribly if it did not continue! Thanks so much Brad for providing a place we can laugh, cry, exchange information and pictures. Big hug from Me and Jock..oh also Rosie, although she is a Scottie she is closely related to her Cairn brothers and sisters.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Just a heads-up: I will be attempting the forum & domain move early next week.  To prevent (or at least minimize) database issues, the forum will be taken off-line once I request the move.

The "offline" message on this location will include a link to the new location (www.cairntalk.net) -- the offline message at the new location may include progress updates if possible.  I may also post progress updates to twitter (@cairntalk).

I'm guessing the forum will be off-line for at least a day, maybe more. The less the better, so expect a few hiccups  (and please forgive me) if I bring it back online a bit too early :P

Idaho Cairns

What is the suggested therapy for we addicts during the transition?  I am going to have to somehow steel myself against the mortal fear that, "This could take longer than expected"!  Thanks for all you do for us with this invaluable forum.

Edited by Idaho Cairns