CairnTalk

Not so happy 4th :(

Autumn & Lola

I wanted to put this under a different thread than my "Happy 4th!" post.

Our next door neighbors get a kick out of teasing me about being American. They are quiet people and I'm a, " Woo-hoo!" type of gal. Well, sometimes anyway. Anyway, there is a lot of good-natured teasing about my loud singing and love of hamburgers.

For the past two years I've hung 5 American flags outside our house on July 4th. Alan came out and said, "I'm reporting you to immigration!" and various taunts about my display of patriotism. This year, we decided we were going to put a flag in *his* yard, as a joke.

So last night we watched until Alan and Kath took their black Labrador, Elmo, out for his last wee of the evening.  We waited until after 10 p.m. Then my husband climbed over their fence and stuck an American flag outside their front window.  We were giggling like mad.

This morning before I got up, Nick was bringing in our trashbins when Kath leaned out her window and said seriously, "Nick? Alan wants to talk to you." She looked upset. Nick noticed the flag was gone. He thought, "Oh crap! They're angry!"  Alan came out and told him that Elmo had a couple "funny do's", he described them as, around dinnertime, then had a stroke around midnight, when they rushed him to the emergency vet.  I'm surprised I didn't hear anything, as I am an insomniac. The vet put him down shortly after.

We were just shocked. Elmo was 12, so not young for a Lab, but it was still a surprise. Nick said Alan took the day off work and was so upset when he told him, understandably. Lola used to bark at Elmo all the time, but now she has her little nose pressed against the fence, looking for him. :(

I haven't seen them yet and I'm wondering if I should just go over, or drop them a card, or wait until tomorrow. I bet they didn't have much sleep at all last night, and Kath has Parkinson's, so I'm afraid to disturb them.  

I didn't put my flags out today. Just don't feel like celebrating. Poor Elmo. :(

I would go over and offer your condolences. They felt comfortable enough to tell your husband so I feel it would be appropriate. Plus, since you are both dog lovers, I am sure they would love to hear from you. If you feel awkward, just take a little treat/dessert over to them. I hate to hear such sad stories.

• Like 1

good judgment on going flagless. i like the idea of taking a bit of food. that is our tradition when a family experiences a loss. terrible news, makes us all sad.

Another nice thought would be to make a donation to one of the local humane organizations in Elmo's name.

Very sorry to hear that Lola is missing her friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone. I did end up going over there later in the day and brought them some dessert. A couple days later they planted a tree in Elmo's memory, and every day they visit it. I know they are supporters of the rescue from which they got Elmo. I will ask for the name and make a donation. Thanks for the advice. Poor Lola still looks for him. :(

Think that was a really nice thing to do for your neighbors. Perhaps later there will be a new friend for Lola to visit with through the fence!

Just read this.  So sorry for your neighbors and Elmo's passing.  Yes - very nice that you showed you cared - great neighbor.  Also sorry for little Lola.  I hope some day she will be surprised when she presses her nose against the fence and see a little puppy or a new rescue. :wub:

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori