CairnTalk

Grooming/hand stripping and lessons in Southeastern Massachusetts?

AMelanson

Cooper is 6 months old now and is looking like he needs a good grooming, including a hand stripping.  I am very hesitant to try it myself but know I will need to.  After reading many streams on this forum, I am thinking I'd prefer to "roll" him to keep him a bit longer and shaggy, but neat and tidy.  I could really use a lesson from someone local to give me a good start!  Anyone in this area of Southeastern MA that can groom Cooper and give me a much-needed lesson on Cairn grooming?  I am in Scituate and am willing to travel!  Thanks in advance for the help!

I tried using the location-based breeder-referral search and found a number of CTCA member-breeders within 50 miles of Scituate.  You might try contacting some of them (or even widen the search radius to find more) and see if they have any interest or recommendations.

I've noticed that at almost any club group function around here that includes dogs will have one or more members bringing a table for grooming their own dogs -- these events often become group grooming sessions. Ideal circumstances to watch, learn, and try. Good luck! 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

There you go!  Didn't think to call the breeder I received him from - ugh!  Will reach out to Madeleine, although I hate to bug her...  Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I am looking for a groomer that does hand stripping.  I have three cairn terriers and live in Southeastern Ma.  Any help with this would be appreciated.

• 10 months later...

Please lemme know what you find. I heard about someone in Kingston but I couldn't find much on internet.

Thanks

I am in Bourne and have been doin it myself for almost 2 years. 

• 4 weeks later...

Your posts are from 2013 so I assume you've found a hand stripper in your area but if you want to travel, Canine Design in Pawcatuck CT hand strips.  Pawcatuck is on the border of CT and Rhode Island along the shore so I don't know if that works for you but she does a good job. Takes a couple of hours and she does not do hand stripping on the weekend since it takes so long.  She also offered to show us how to do it ourselves which we did so the visit was a couple of hours.  A little pricy for that visit and unfortunately we haven't attempted to do it ourselves again but I would recommend her.  Hope this helps at this late date!

• Like 1