CairnTalk

Is he a Cairn?

wilfredssunlight

s227451053.jpg

This is "Fred." Long story short: I visited the animal shelter because of another dog on their website and...ended up adopting him. (Currently waiting for the mandatory holding period to be over so that he can come home... And, yes, you can all point and laugh if he destroys my house, eats my shoes and chases my cats ruthlessly because I failed to research or even know what breed he is... I very well know better.) His previous owners listed him as a "Jack Russell mix." I...don't see it. Googling pictures of "terriers," I can't tell if he'd be a Cairn or an Australian or maybe something else I haven't yet discovered altogether! Does anyone here have a better clue? Or perhaps know if there's a difference between training one breed of terrier over another? 

I'm not particularly good with mix identification. I don't see much if any Cairn. From the picture and what looks like white rough coat, roundish eye, thinnish feet, etc. I wouldn't rule out JR mix of some sort (but mainly because of the color). Regardless, terriers of all sorts are full of spirit and mischief and intelligence. So have FUN with Fred no matter what. I suspect he'll be up for it :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Awwh, he is so cute! I could just kiss him all over. Can't help with identifying breed, defiantly a mix bag of terrier. Love and patience will take care of any worries. Congratulations, and bless you for adopting!

Aww, he is adorable. How tall and long is he and how much does he weigh? Always hard to tell from just photos, especially one photo. His eyes, nose and feet, and especially his expression remind me of my Lola, who is a Westie.   I've had a few terriers now and they are all full of mischief and fun, independent yet loving and always listen......that is if they feel like it. :)  Congrats!! :D

definitely terrier and definitely forever-home bait. the face does look slightly cairny to me, the bright eyes. the coat is hard to figure out. looks a bit poodly to me. once he gets a grooming he is going to be awfully cute. i'm guessing terrier poodle mix. maybe westie on the terrier side. oh, actually, i can't see the coloring --are those butterscotch spots on the flank? i see what brad meant by jack russell color. if he is not solid, that is a good guess. jack russell and poodle. if he is white, westie and poodle.

Edited by pkcrossley

...if he destroys my house, eats my shoes and chases my cats ruthlessly...

Isn't that all the fun parts?  ;)

I would say full breed cutie!  I think a bit of Cairn, agree with PK the eyes, and a bit around the nose.  I would go so far as to say a few breeds.  I think JR terrier is possible and after I read PK's post, poodle cause of the coat and something in the body I can't put my finger on.  Terrier is for sure tho, so get ready for fun.  Congrats and I hope your waiting time is over soon!

Doesn't matter what he is because he's adorable, but he sure looks terrierish.  God bless you for adopting him.  Any idea how old he is?  Stop by again and post more pics once Fred is settled into your home. 

The nose, mouth and beard look similar to a Cairn. Also the fur on the nose poking over the eyes is Cairnish. The feet are not Cairn. Cairns have bigger front feet. So there might be some Cairn in him along with who knows what else lol.

That look on his face is so cute. You are a good person to adopt him. Hope he comes home soon and you two will have a lot of fun.

Not sure about breed, looks a bit like a Jack Russell mix we meet on walks apart from feet! He is very cute and adoptable!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk