CairnTalk

Any advice?

Rate this topic

Jefferson87

Hi Everyone!

I have been on this forum a lot lately and I appreciate all the help! Napolean is almost 7 months old and we have been crate training him since he was almost 4 months old which is when we got him. He can hold it in extremely well in his crate and never has accidents in there, so I know he can hold it (he holds it all night and during the day held it twice up to 6 hours so I know he has control). Problem is, when he is out of the crate, he seems to be having a lot of accidents.

I live in an apartment and I take him out at least 4-6 times a day and give him positive reinforcements, yes his still has accidents. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? 

I've tried to stop crating him as much this past month since he turned 6 months to show him I trust him and let him be active in the house, but I no longer trust him so I started crating him again today.

HELP!

Probably the only problem with Napoleon is his age--28 weeks is a bit early to expect a dog to be fully house trained.  If you just keep up the regimen--outside frequently with lots of praise when he follows your "potty" command, he will no doubt come around.

Meantime get some really good cleaning products to thoroughly remove and de-scent his mistakes.  Housebreaking is something we understandably want to rush but there is a reality with puppies--it takes them awhile to get the idea.  Be patient, doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong.

• Like 2

Max went thru a phase around 7-8 month of inconsistency after being reliable at asking to go out. Someone on this forum recommended tethering him - first to us when not crated ( allowed for us to be more alert to his signals) then to a progressively longer tether anchored to a heavy piece of furniture ( began with 10 ft progressed to 30 ft) . We did this for about 1-2 months . It worked - probably for several reasons: we were more alert to him, he couldn't wander off & forget to ask, he matured more, and he slowly,slowly earned & learned what was the entirety of his interior 'den'. Max hasn't messed since (now 14 months) In fact, if he is acting the barky bossy adolescent, we'll tether him near us - he'll usually begin settling down when he sees the leash!! :surrender: The rascal. :lol:

Edited by PLGD

Hi Everyone!

Problem is, when he is out of the crate, he seems to be having a lot of accidents.

I've tried to stop crating him as much this past month since he turned 6 months to show him I trust him and let him be active in the house, but I no longer trust him so I started crating him again today.

This is going to sound trite....but out of the crate he's 'wiggling around alot more'.  My motto: if it wiggles, it runs out, the more it wiggles, the more it runs out (and means you need to be more attentive, to avert the 'runs outs').... until control is acheived in the face of considerable distraction, which might take a while.

And your last line?  Show him You trust him?  Um, nope, He Shows You he's trustworthy, he has to earn your trust--and don't give that easily, Ever!  He's a terrier, they have to be reminded constantly to be trustworthy & respectful.  That's the beauty of terriers, they're thinking dogs, always testing you, if not because they have to brainpower to do it, then just for the mischief of it.

Agree with PLGD. Go back to basics.Tied to you and never out of sight. Taken out frequently. Give more freedom as things seem to progress.

I think we often have to review behavior of all sorts with our cairns as they are growing up. And sometimes I guess when they are grown up!

• Like 1

I have a 5 and half month old female, she has been potty trained after 2 wks, of being home we got her at 8 wks. My secret is that I tied a bell on the door. Got a big round xmas bell (chime) at the dollar store and some ribbon. Make it hang so the dog can easly reach it with the paw. Everytime she wants to go outside she rings the bell.  I trained her with treats of course, everytime she rings the bell she would get a treat and open the door and so on. Then you attach the word ex: Potty outside etc... I saw a video of this on youtube and I had trained my poodle this way. Even the cats pick up on it. You should check this out on youtube it's pretty easy. My dog trainer also told me that you can expect your puppy to have some slip ups at the age of 6 months even if your puppy is clean, because of teething.

I hope this help!!