CairnTalk

Recipe for Hanukkah Latkes

tlwtheq

Almost identical to my mother's recipe, Tara. I use flour instead of panko.

Tip: I make mine in advance, freeze & reheat - single layer on ungreased foil-lined cookie sheet, 7-8 minutes at 450 F. brings back the crispiness and loses grease! (Still don't think I will give any to Gus!)

Almost identical to my mother's recipe, Tara. I use flour instead of panko.

Tip: I make mine in advance, freeze & reheat - single layer on ungreased foil-lined cookie sheet, 7-8 minutes at 450 F. brings back the crispiness and loses grease! (Still don't think I will give any to Gus!)

You rock, tribe member! The freezing idea sounds really promising, i.e. with respect to saved time and less grease!

Oh, the panko was just my twist...somehow I fell in love with that stuff as breading over the last few years.

Gee I'm glad to have a friend on the West Coast, and in Canada to boot! I hated computers most of the time

I was growing up, and especially when going through Computer Science school. At least they're good for

something I value...good friends like you.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Tee-hee-hee! Has nothing to do with Jewish cooking. It's actually a really light, Japanese

form of bread crumbs. We just prefer it because of that...light!

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Thanks for the definition. I hail from a long line of stubborn Germans and all my holiday recipes are full of everything that's bad for you. I have made one improvement: mom's potato pancakes were always fried in Crisco (the white kind that was sold in a tub), but now I fry them in canola oil.

Although not a tribe member, I love potatoes in all of their wondrous forms. I've had latkes many times, but never knew there were eggs in them! I never would have guessed. Thanks for the recipe -- I just may be inspired to whip up a batch one of these days.

• 8 months later...