CairnTalk

"Play Dead" = Easy Nail Clipping

derecskey

We've been working on Bella and her comfort level with clipping her nails for a while now. We've always played with her feet, from the get-go, and she's fine with that. But clipping nails was another story. She was a little monster! Not mean, really, but just stubborn, scared. I had only ever quicked her once.

We went through a period where we re-enforced our role as "alpha" and firmly made her aware that she'll have to deal with us putting her on her back. Over a week or two, she came to accept this, though not fully. Again, when nail clipping time came around, it was a complete regression.

Recently, she learned "Play Dead", and before that, had even been offering to roll over and show her belly when we get home. She comes trotting over to us, head down slightly, ears back a little, tail wagging like mad, and with just the slightest encouragement, PLOP, there she goes down on her back. (No, she hasn't been peeing, thankfully, as some of you have struggled with). Anyway, once Play Dead was introduced, for the first time ever, clipping nails was a breeze, and with one person (myself) only doing the job! It used to take two of us, and some "breaks" in between feet. The last two clippings have gone off without a hitch and in just meer minutes, all 4 feet are done, including the front dewclaws!

Just thought I'd share this for anyone who's thinking of doing any training and was experiencing the dread that we did when nail-time came around.

What a great idea. I would think I was dreaming if I could do this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, and I should note, she now gets a MEGA treat when she's done with her nails, she gets a greenie. She loves those things.

Archived