CairnTalk

Posting Pictures--need help Brad

maggie's_mom

Ok, Brad...I hate to beat this topic with a dead horse, but I am still confused about posting pictures.

Do you have to have them on your own website to post here? I saw the write up about using the "File Attachments section to upload a small picture" when I compose a new message, but I can't seem to figure out where that is either.

Please help! I feel like an idiot not being able to figure this out.

Thanks!

Indeed it is best if images are hosted somewhere else - if you don't have a web site of your own there are free image hosting sites that tend to exist for this exact purpose.

But as the topic says, it is possible for registered users to upload a (small) attachment directly to this site. Here's how:

1. Below the posting box is section called File Attachments. Scroll down to see it.
  2. Click the Browse button and navigate to and select the image on your hard drive.
  3. Click Add This Attachment and wait a bit - the file is uploading to our server.
  4. After it is uploaded, you will suddenly see a new option over to the right: Insert Into Post. Click that link or button.
  5. Look in the posting box - you will see an attachment tag and id. That is where your attachment will display. Type your message above it or below it, however you want to format your post.

Note 1: Attachments will not show up in the preview - just the placeholder tag where the attachment will be after posting.

Note 2: If your file is too big, you will get an error message. As a general guideline, you should size forum pictures to be around 500 px wide and shoot for 50kb or less for file size. The actual limit is higher, but these suggested figures are kind to users on slower modems.

Edit: Change bullet list to step numbers

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I still can't believe I posted pictures on this site correctly!! It took me forever to figure it out but maybe I can help you a little. Please bear with me if I don't use the correct lingo and if I explain it in "my language". :confused:

I registered with a free image hosting site... http://www.photobucket.com/ the one I use.

I took my digital pictures and saved them on my computer in a specific file. ..for me it was a desktop file. When I logged on to photobucket I opened the browse icon. From there I found the file the pics were in. I clicked on the pic I wanted, clicked Open and then clicked Submit on the PhotoBucket site. I had to edit my pictures because they were really large...most of that info should be in the Help section.

Once your pictures are in the Photobucket site, right click on the Img. line to highlight it and click Copy. Go to our forum and right click Paste. Then do the Preview Post to see if it works. Can't count how many times I had to redo my pic/post.

I'm sorry this sounds so lame but it's the only way I can describe how I figured it out.

Brad.....care to help us newbies???? :whistle:

Ok, for my future sanity I just wanted to point out where the problem is when posting a photo.

I can not for the life of me find the File Attachments section. I scrolled down below the posting box, but I do not see a link or button or label or anything that indicates it is for file attachments.

Here is a breakdown of what I see along each step...

When I am viewing the string of posts and I scroll to the end I see: key word search, links to oldest and newest topic, 4 buttons (Fast Reply, Add Reply, Options, New Topic), other users that are viewing this topic, drop-down to site map, page footer information and the language selection.

The buttons I see underneath each post are On/Offline, Profile Card, PM, Report, Top, Quote and Reply.

When I click Add Reply I see the Code Buttons section, the Enter your Post section, the Post Options, and Post Icons. None of these sections contain a link or button that indicate File Attachments.

I believe you that there is a File Attachments section b/c everyone else has been able to find it. Tell me that I am looking in the wrong location or that I need to change my internet settings or something!

I can not for the life of me find the File Attachments section.  I scrolled down below the posting box, but I do not see a link or button or label or anything that indicates it is for file attachments.

It's on the post screen.

post-3-1098800766_thumb.jpg image opens in new window

After uploading the attachment, you will see the Add into Post button.

post-3-1098800998_thumb.jpg image opens in new window

After you do that, you'll see code like this at the very bottom of the post box. This code will display your attachment once you have completed your post.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Vestibulum dignissim viverra mauris. Mauris convallis gravida nisl. Donec posuere faucibus risus. Cras pharetra sollicitudin libero. (content of your post)

[attachmentid=1]  <------- the tag that will display your attachment

Hope this helps.

Edit: add dummy text to code sample; note attachments open in new window

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

It's on the post screen.

image opens in new window

Brad, I don't have this option on my screen, either. At the bottom of my Post screen there are two buttons, "Add Reply" and "Preview Post" and that's it. :huh:

Thela

A puzzlement. I logged out as admin and logged back in as a regular user to grab those screen shots, just to be sure. Maybe there's another setting somewhere I'm missing. Will check it out and report back.

Aha - I found the problem (and fixed it). Thank you for your patience and persistence to lead me to the problem. I had enabled uploads only for the test forum - which is why I was able to upload as a test user - that's the only place I tried. I reset permissions in all the appropriate forums. Please let me know if you still don't see that section on the post screen now.

• 1 month later...

Archived