CairnTalk

My Cairn puppy does not like going for a walk

Donald

Hello - I am looking for some advice on walking my 15 week old male cairn puppy. He does not seem to like going for a walk - the outward leg is a battle of wills but as soon as I turn round to go home, he would be happy to run all the way.

He is quite timid and small for his age but is a happy healthy dog in all other respects.

Any tips?

Mine was the same way at that age. Especially so I think because it was still so hot when I got him at 9 weeks old in July. When the weather got cooler he was much more willing and very eager to walk more and know I can't walk fast or far enough so I usually walk for a while and then let him run beside me on my bike for a short distance (usually 1/2 or a mile). I think he will grow and be eager for walks. :angel: :idea:

We have our pup in obedience training and I can tell you that EVERYTHING improves with rewards of dog treats. Whatever your behavior problem is, take the time to use key command words and treats over and over until you have the desired results. We are now 6 weeks into the training and are seeing wonderful changes. The Cairn is a very willful little critter, and so owners need to be just as determined to train them in satisfactory behavior. We have decided to use this time with our pup as a learning experience for us as well. It makes it fun for all of us, and Cairns really like to have fun!

You might consider some dog obedience training classes, they are well worth the effort and cost.

MacDuff's owner, Bonnie

• 3 weeks later...
:D Fiona likes to choose the route we take. She does a much better job on lead when I go the way she wants to go when we start out. By mid walk, she's ready to go the direction I want. I have read that Cairn's get bored easily. I think she gets bored going the same route all the time. Give yours a new track to explore and see how it goes!

• 1 year later...

You might want to get your cairn checked out to make sure nothing is wrong with him/her. Our 6 month cairn showed signs of not being very active as she once was... turned out that she had legg parthes disease.

We had bone surgery on her leg... and now she is a wild and crazy dog :)

:P

Archived