CairnTalk

What about winter and snow ?

Rate this topic

Macdaddy

Being new to Cairn's and dogs in general, We're wondering how most of you handle snow covered ground during elimination. We've trained Mac to go on grass and he's mastered it :) He likes peeing on trees and leaves now, marking territory. We have no issues with him regarding potty and he can be left alone at home without issue. We're confident in him and trust him.

We're just concerned with winter and snow covered ground. Do you shovel a patch of grass? Do you go out and puchase indoor grass bathrooms ?

Inquiring minds (and worried ones) want to know....... ???

Thanks,

Charlie, Suzanne and Macpost-5776-0-52544000-1352132989_thumb.jp

We had Attila in snow a few times and he had no problem making yellow snow. It was like there was no snow for him except for the fact that he loves snow and sticking his head into thick snow. But last winter was very mild so if this winter is harder we'll see how it goes. And this winter will be Tessa's first.

(null)

Edited by DemiSheep

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

We've never had a problem getting Buffy to go outside during the winter, although we shovel a path through the yard when the snow is very deep. She has even used the gravel driveway when she felt the yard was unacceptable. (Thank heavens it's easy to spot a brown pile on a white driveway.)

• Like 1

When we have had some snow, Holly has enjoyed going out in it. I have shoveled paths for her when it has been deep. Just dont let him eat the yellow snow!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Depends on the snow and your energy level! I always shovel a path across my patio and out to a tree. Anything more than that depends on how deep it is. But really, in the yard or on walks, they don't have a problem with the snow not being grass. And on walks, it's pretty easy for dogs and humans to tell where other dogs have been! In the yard, if the snow is under a foot, the guys have lots of fun digging for treasures under the snow and making their own paths criss-crossing the yard.

Here's a few pics from previous winters... (sorry about the size, I tried to make them smaller :confused: )

Snow1.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Edited by Zekey's Mom

If snow very deep have to shovel a bit for short legs otherwise no problem.

I will say though that dogs I've had in the past have looked for the last possible bit of grass to go on then at winter's end have looked for the last possible bit of snow to go on!

• Like 1

Well I will have to say we had very little snow. We did have one that completely covered the grass and we didn't have a problem with Kelly. She went just as well on the white stuff as she does on the green stuff. She has never peed or pooed on black top or concrete, she just won't.

• 3 weeks later...

Addie seems to assume that when it snows anything white is fair game to potty on. Including all the porches, the outdoor rugs, the driveway . . . all places she would NEVER go on normally.

My Maltese on the other hand would hold her potty until we cleared a path to the grass and made sure there was an area of green for her to do her business.

Edited by _whits_

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I don't like those snow pics. Brrrr. We had just a quick spatter of snow today, but it didn't stay. I too have a path for Demps. Dempsy won't stay out long to do his deeds - he doesn't like the cold on his paws. Unless of course we are playing.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori