CairnTalk

Addie's Earthdog Adventure

_whits_

Addie had her first Earthdog experience this weekend. We went to the Rocky Mountain Earthdog Club event in Rist Canyon, Colorado. It is a beautiful setting. There were some major wildfires in the area that destroyed hundreds of home, but the Earthdog courses were mostly untouched except for some scarred trees, and ash on the ground. Everyone I met at the event was incredibly friendly and welcoming, and were very helpful in explaining what to expect.

Addie had a fantastic day meeting other dogs. We were also lucky to meet Fearghus and Fiona and their uprights. Fearghus is a handsome man and Fiona is a Cairn puppy (i.e. irresistible).

Addie did not pass Intro to Quarry, but did still seem to enjoy it. She was basically disqualified from the very start. My parents came along to see their granddog in action, and stood just outside the Intro enclosure near to the tunnels. Addie seemed to know something exciting was afoot, and was very wiggly and excited as we entered the enclosure. She noticed the tunnel and the judge and was looking right at the entrance. I put her down. . . . and she ran as fast as her feet could carry her to her grandparents. She tried to get through the fence to get to them. So they walked slowly away and out of sight.

Once Addie realized she wasn’t getting a cuddle from grandma, she decided to wander the Intro enclosure, sniffing and chewing on grass. Eventually she got interested in the scent trail and darted to the entrance of the tunnel. She got into the tunnel up to her shoulders and then got spooked and darted out. She then walked over to the judge and was sniffing around her. Eventually the judge lifted the hatch at the end of the tunnel to have Addie see the rats. Addie climbed down in the hatch and was very aggressive about digging, barking and screeching at the rats. The judge and I tried to get Addie to go into the tunnel again, but she was clearly afraid of it. She was, however, VERY interested in the rats and actually managed to lift up the area where the rat cage is kept and almost got her mouth on the cage handle. After that, she had no interest in the tunnel and just wanted to get straight to the rats from their entry-point. As we left the enclosure she kept whining and looking back at where the rats were.

It’s clear that she has a strong prey drive, and that she can smell the rats. But it’s also clear she is really intimidated by the tunnels. I think a lot of it was that it was quite a tight fit for her. I decided not to stay for the afternoon because I didn’t want to force her to do something scary. I’m hoping we can find a training course or something similar to get her used to crawling through a tunnel, to see if we could make that part as enjoyable as the rats.

All in all, it was a lovely weekend. Great fun, great dogs, great people, great scenery.

The only downside was that shortly after Addie did her event, she caught sight of a dog she desperately wanted to become best friends with and darted as fast as she possibly could to say hi. I was attached to the other end of the leash and Addie yanked with the full force of her being, and I heard my shoulder snap. I had XRays today and am waiting on the results and I’ll be going to an orthopedic doctor later this week as I’m in a significant amount of pain. I have informed Addie that we will be re-enrolling in training to work on her ability to walk on a loose leash.

An Angel

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Loved the pics of Addie. She had a good first experience. Hoping to take Angus next spring when things start up again for us.

What I have been doing with Angus is sending him into larger holes than the ones used in the tests.This way he can get used to going in and out and then I thought I'd trying a smaller diameter. Haven't used rats just treats.

post-5753-0-87381400-1349268747_thumb.jp

Addie is adorable. I chuckled when I read about her trying to get to her grandparents instead of the rats. :P If I had any free time at all I'd love to bring Buffy to an earth dog trial. I read quite a bit about earth dog a while back and I know some folks suggested using large PVC pipe to get the dogs accustomed to the tunnels.

I’m hoping we can find a training course or something similar to get her used to crawling through a tunnel, to see if we could make that part as enjoyable as the rats.

I have informed Addie that we will be re-enrolling in training to work on her ability to walk on a loose leash.

Martingale collar? http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kw=martingales&s=D-StorePrice-PET&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD%2FBrands%2FTop+Paw&fbc=1&fbn=Brands%7CTop+Paw or if you want a clip-on so you don't have to adjust every time you put it on, plus there's lots of colors http://www.cetaceacorp.com/pets/collars/chain-martingales/

Here ya go: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12546307 ) this what some 'dog friends' use for backyard entertainment and agility training--good 'starter' tunnel (this is the smallest diameter that Toys 'R Us carries, 18"). Then you can 'downsize' to a 'concrete form tube' from Home Depot or Lowe's; keeping those are a little trickier as their rain-resistance isn't that good, some wrap them in tarps. Those are 4ft long and you can work with her with a 12inch, although I believe 'regulation tunnels' are 9inches, so you might have to downgrade to a 10inch at some point.

Edited by MegsMom

Thanks for the tips everyone! Addie did really enjoy her day, even it she didn't quite enjoy the tunnel part.

And MegsMom, I have both the martingale and the play tunnel. The martingale is not improving her loose leash walking. So that's why I'm going to enroll her in some more training. And Addie LOVES her Toys R Us tunnel, and she also loves a small fake drainage ditch tunnel at her doggie day care.

It's not tunnels in general she's afraid of, it's the small size of the earthdog one. So we're going to snoop around Home Depot to see what we can find that's close to 9".

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

You can create a short section of "regulation" size ED tunnel for not very much. Pick up a six or eight foot 2x10 and cut it in half. Get a slice of plywood (any thickness - we use 3/4 but that's for heavy duty use) 12" wide by three or four feet long. Tack it onto the 2x10's with some 2 1/2 or 3" deck screws and you've got a short tunnel section to roll balls through, toss treats into, and otherwise use to desensitize Addie to the tunnel.

For an earthdog, a 9" tunnel is enormous, comparatively. Not sure where the specification came from originally . It might have been based on artificial dens once built as fox habitat for conservation purposes? Most natural dens are a fraction of the size and dogs have to work and wriggle and dig to get into them. However even a large ED buried den is dark and new and filled with very strong scent, so it's no shame to be cautious about entering such a place.

Home depot also sells cardboard "Sonotubes" used for pouring cement pilings and the like (indeed you'll see them in the aisles used to hold stock of "long tall things" in various places in the store). They're a pretty good size to use for desensitization (although they'll roll if not stabilized).

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I have a card board one inside, part is a box from an electric trimmer, the other part is the box from and EZup. After you get her going thru a straight tunnel, you need to add a turn, that's a big part of it, the intro tunnel is dark, one of the reasons they don't want to go in. You can use food to lure her through, soon she will be racing thru.

• Like 1

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

We took Murphy to his first Earthdog event last December. He also did not pass Intro, but like Addie, was skeptical of the tunnel and showed a strong prey drive. The only thing different that our judge did was NOT show Murphy the rats where he was sitting. Because we were the last in line, I think the judge saw the prey drive, and worked with us to bring it out in the boy. Murphy would go into the tunnel until his tail hit, then he'd back out, but all the while he would scratch and dig and bark. The judge said he didn't want to show Murphy the rats because he would remember to go right there instead of through the tunnel.

Finally we got him in and he did what he was supposed to do. Unfortunately, for us, we signed up for the afternoon session on Saturday, and they didn't have Intro again on Sunday.

We are going back this year again, but I will sign him up for the morning session and see what happens. We're getting ready to go into training soon!

I'm glad Addie and you had fun, because that's the lesson I took away from it all. It was fun for me, it helped me bond with my dog, and it brought out the natural instinct of the breed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful tips.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. It's amazing how much force and sudden jerking these little guys can inflict!

I couldn't see photos :(. Only a black box.

Edited by TazTalk

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. It's amazing how much force and sudden jerking these little guys can inflict!

I couldn't see photos :(. Only a black box.

Click here for the photos. Hopefully that will work.

My shoulder is finally feeling well enough to type and do more normal things. Except, of course, walk Addie with that arm.

She (I really should say we) starts her (our) first session of private at-home leash and recall training on Halloween.