CairnTalk

Eating bone bits

Guest posting as: Milopup

I love the advice on this forum, and have tried the frozen sterile bone stuffed with peanut butter idea. It works wonderfully, but alas my pup sometimes chews off bits of bone. Is this safe?

I don't know anything about these bones, but it doesn't sound like a good thing. Can you view the pieces that he is chewing off? If they are large, or sharp, I don't think I would use these bones again. Sorry I couldn't be more help. :)

I agree...Although I've often wanted to give my Cairns soup bones or those stuffed and dried that I see at the pet shop, I'm so leary of splinters and what they could do to their intestines.

I use the Nylabones and when the ends get chewed up, I replace them. Not expensive and so far I've had no problems. They even like them.

Raw knuckle bones can definitely be consumed (buffalo bones are a special treat) but I'd be shy of hard weight-bearing bones like shanks etc, and especially cooked rock-hard bones. Although of two lost teeth we've had, one was from an ice cube and the another was in an earthdog test (biting at the bars) so as always I conclude ... nothing is safe!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

These are the sterilized filled bones they sell in stores (usually have cheese or PB). He is not biting off big bits, just seem to be chipping at the edges.

I do use the sterilized bones from the pet store and fill them with a piece of cheese when we go to bed. It's our little bedtime ritual and heaven help us if we forget. I wonder if the freezing makes them brittle. The ones we use do wear down but have not splintered. The boys also like the kongs with cheese or a biscuit stuffed in and they are pretty tough.

Archived